US President Donald Trump wants to impose new taxes on a different legal basis after the Supreme Court’s decision against tariffs imposed by it. He announced that he would impose a global tariff of ten percent in addition to existing tariffs.
Trump announced that he would sign a corresponding decree this Friday.
The US Supreme Court has previously declared most of Trump’s tariffs unlawful. The majority of judges ruled that the emergency law sought by Trump did not authorize the president to Customs duties to impose. Trump justified the tariffs, which were directed against countries in Europe, among others, with the IEEPA emergency law of 1977. For the new tariffs now announced, Trump referred to the Trade Act of 1974. This authorizes a US president to impose tariffs of up to 15 percent on countries in the event of “large and serious” balance of payments difficulties.
These can be valid for up to 150 days. There are no plans for investigations or other procedural hurdles. During this time, Trump could look for alternatives to his current customs practices.
Trump announces “even tougher” course
Table of Contents
Trump now wants to take an “even tougher” course and use alternative paths that could bring in more money than the tariffs that have just been stopped. He said he was allowed to impose an embargo on countries. He also referred to other legal bases for imposing tariffs.
He called the Supreme Court’s ruling “deeply disappointing” and a “disgrace.” “I am ashamed of certain members of the court,” he told the press in Washington, DC. They were “a disgrace” to the nation and had subjugated themselves to “foreign interests,” he claimed, without citing evidence. Vice President JD Vance claimed: “This is lawlessness on the part of the court, pure and simple.”
Trump expects years of legal proceedings
Trump is expecting lengthy legal disputes over the reimbursement of the special tariffs paid so far. “We’re going to spend the next five years in court,” he said. He estimated the customs revenue to date at “hundreds of billions of dollars.” Economists estimate it to be around $175 billion.
Despite the court ruling, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent does not expect any significant impact on customs revenue. These would be almost unchanged in 2026, said Bessent. The Supreme Court has not ruled against the US President’s tariffs, the minister added. Six judges simply took the position that powers under the emergency law should not be used to generate revenue.
