Israel Attacks Iran: Trump on War & Escalation

by Archynetys World Desk

Israel launched a new wave of “large-scale” attacks on Iran, which responded with offensives in Tel Aviv and against American and Israeli targets in neighboring countries, in the third week of the war in the Middle East, which continues with no sign of a ceasefire. In an interview with the American network NBC News, the President of the United States, Donald Trump, warned that the conditions are still “not good enough” for an agreement with Tehran that would put an end to the conflict, which began with a coordinated attack between Washington and Israel on the last day of February.

  • Sob Hegseth: US Department of Defense puts civilians on the back burner to prioritize ‘maximum lethality’
  • ‘Correct course’: President of the US Federal Communications Commission threatens to revoke broadcasters’ licenses for covering the war in Iran

The Israeli Armed Forces (IDF) claimed to have carried out more than 7,000 attacks against the country since the start of the war. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard has since targeted its rivals’ facilities in neighboring territories, such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which have already been targets of almost 2,000 attacks during the retaliation. This Sunday, for example, the United Arab Emirates claimed to have been attacked by nine ballistic missiles and six drones “coming from Iran”. Saudi Arabia said it intercepted 14 drones near Riyadh, the capital, and in an eastern province, without specifying their origin. So far, there is no information about injuries.

After the new wave of attacks against, according to the IDF, “western Iran”, Tehran claimed to have launched, “in self-defense”, “powerful” drone attacks against Israeli headquarters and security centers. The Israeli police, according to the newspaper Haaretz, reported that there were several places hit by cluster bombs in the greater Tel Aviv region, which left eight people injured. According to Israeli broadcaster Channel 12, shrapnel from an Iranian missile damaged a building housing American diplomats in Israel.

Also this Sunday, in an interview with the American network CNN, IDF spokesperson General Effie Defrin stated that Israel plans to extend its campaign against Iran for at least another three weeks. The general’s statement was accompanied by the Israeli government’s approval of a package worth more than R$4 billion for “emergency” military purchases.

— We have thousands of targets ahead of us. We are ready, in coordination with our American allies, with plans that last at least until the Jewish holiday of Passover, in about three weeks,” said the general. — And we have more comprehensive plans for the next three weeks.

On Saturday, in retaliation for American bombings against Kharg Island, a strategic terminal responsible for around 90% of Iran’s crude oil exports, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard warned that US-linked ports, docks and military installations in the United Arab Emirates have become “legitimate targets”, accusing Washington of using them as a base for attacks on Iranian territory. Tehran also stated that the island’s oil exports remain “in full swing”, despite the offensives.

  • ‘Ensure security’: Trump calls on China, France, UK and ‘other countries’ to send warships to Strait of Hormuz

On NBC, Trump stated that Iran is ready to reach a deal to end the war, but said that Washington wants “better terms”, signaling that there is no truce in sight. According to the Republican, a “solid” agreement would have to include Tehran’s commitment to abandon nuclear ambitions. Trump did not provide further details about possible negotiations, and it is unclear who — or if anyone — is relaying messages between the two countries.

In turn, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that the Islamic Republic has not called for negotiations or a ceasefire. In an interview aired this Sunday on CBS, Araghchi said he sees “no reason to talk to the Americans”, since his country was already “talking to them when they decided to attack us”. He added that Iran will continue to “defend itself” until Trump accepts that it is fighting “an illegal war” with no chance of victory.

— We are stable and strong enough. We’re just defending our people,” Araghchi said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

The American president asked, on his Truth Social platform, that China, France, the United Kingdom, Japan, South Korea and “other countries” send warships, “in conjunction with Washington”, to guarantee security in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital maritime route for the flow of around 20% of the oil sold in the world, in practice currently under blockade imposed by Iran.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said blocking the Strait of Hormuz is “temporarily inconvenient”, predicting the war to end “in the coming weeks”. For him, “it is better for this to happen now than to face an Iran with nuclear weapons.”

On Telegram, Araghchi stated that the Strait “is open to everyone, except American ships and those of their allies”. In practice, however, the oil transported through the passage comes from Iran or US allies such as Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Military ship transits the Strait of Hormuz, at the entrance to the Persian Gulf — Photo: Sahar AL ATTAR / AFP

Following Trump’s appeal, the Iranian foreign minister warned other countries that if they intervene there would be “an escalation” in the war in the Middle East. The minister asked countries to “refrain from any action that could lead to escalation” and stated that he has “a lot of evidence” that American bases in the Middle East were used to attack his country, citing the United Arab Emirates.

Pieces of missiles and drones recovered after Iran's attacks were displayed last week at a press conference in Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates — Photo: Ryan Lim/AFP
Pieces of missiles and drones recovered after Iran’s attacks were displayed last week at a press conference in Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates — Photo: Ryan Lim/AFP

Still, Araghchi assured that his country is ready to consider any proposal that includes “a complete end” to the conflicts, according to the newspaper Al-Araby al-Jadeed, adding that mediations by neighboring countries were underway to reduce tension and present “ideas to put an end to the war”.

In two appearances on American television this Sunday, Mike Waltz, US ambassador to the UN, reinforced Trump’s call for other countries to protect their own oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz. On CNN, Waltz was asked whether Trump was prepared to attack oil facilities on Kharg Island and, if so, whether he feared this could lead to an even greater escalation of the war.

— President Trump will not rule out any option — said Waltz. — I certainly believe he will keep that possibility open if he wants to dismantle their energy infrastructure.

In an interview with Sky News, the United Kingdom’s Energy Secretary, Ed Miliband, when asked whether his country is considering sending ships to the Strait, stated that he is analyzing “with allies what can be done, because it is crucial that the passage is reopened.” To the British BBC network, Miliband said that “all options that could help reopen the Strait are being analyzed, but ending this conflict is the best and safest option.”

  • Assessment of diplomats and analysts: War against Iran is victory for Trump in crusade to weaken the future of BRICS

The British newspaper Financial Times revealed, this Sunday, that the foreign ministers of the European Union (EU) will discuss a possible expansion of the naval mission of the EU aircraft carrier “Aspides”, in the Strait of Hormuz. A joint EU and UN naval mission to ensure safe passage “appears more likely” than a reaction from certain European countries, the Financial Times reported, citing a European official.

Targeted by Iranian missile and drone attacks this Sunday, the United Arab Emirates said six people had died and almost 150 had been injured since the start of the conflict. The country also indicated that it has already intercepted 298 ballistic missiles, 15 cruise missiles and 1,606 drones.

In Bahrain, where sirens warning of aerial threats were activated twice this Sunday, according to the country’s Ministry of Interior, the Armed Forces have intercepted 211 drones and 125 missiles since the start of the conflict. Witnesses in Manama, the capital, reported loud explosions over the city.

The Kuwaiti National Guard announced that it had managed to intercept five Iranian drones “in a secure location.” The country’s Defense Ministry later said two drones targeted Ahmad al-Jaber Air Base and three others struck Kuwait International Airport, causing damage to the radar system. According to the Kuwait News Agency, three soldiers were slightly injured.

Reuters news agency reported that Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said the government does not plan to hold direct talks with Lebanon in the coming days. During a visit to a city in northern Israel where authorities said an Iranian missile attack severely damaged housing and injured dozens of people, Saar accused the Lebanese government of not doing enough to disarm Hezbollah on its own, forcing Tel Aviv to act.

This Sunday, the Israeli military claimed to have attacked several Hezbollah rocket launch sites, where the group’s fighters were allegedly planning an “imminent” attack against Israel, according to the Israeli newspaper Times of Israel. In Beirut, the capital, Israeli forces also attacked and destroyed command centers of the Radwan Force, Hezbollah’s elite unit.

At

According to the Lebanese Ministry of Health, 15 people died and 18 were injured in IDF attacks in Lebanon this Sunday. Since the start of the war, according to the ministry, Israeli attacks have killed 850 people, including 107 children, 66 women and 32 health professionals. Another 2,105 people were injured.

(With AFP and New York Times)

Related Posts

Leave a Comment