Zachary Babitz, accused of killing 83-year-old Gordon Peter Wilson outside a Best Buy in Santa Fe last August, may face the death penalty, according to new court documents. Frantic 911 calls were made to Santa Fe police on Aug. 6, 2024, reporting the shooting.”Yeah, we just got a shooting right here on Zaporano,” one caller said. Another caller added, “He just shot and killed an old man and robbed him right in front of the Best Buy.”Newly released body camera footage shows officers rushing to the scene with sirens blaring. Investigators say Babitz shot and killed Wilson in the parking lot moments after Wilson parked his car. Surveillance video shows Babitz approaching Wilson, leading to a fight, then a shooting.Cameras captured Babitz walking through neighborhoods and into a grocery store prior to the shooting. Records show Babitz previously spent 20 years in prison for armed robbery and stolen vehicles charges and was released in March of 2024. According to court records, he was sentenced in California and was transferred to New Mexico through Interstate Compact.Babitz was on probation at the time of the shooting, for felony convictions in 2018, including six counts of robbery, receiving or transferring a stolen car, possession of drugs and possession of a weapon or explosive by a prisoner. Detectives revealed Babitz cut off his ankle monitor five days before the incident. Law enforcement searched for Babitz for four days, during which he was accused of several other violent crimes, including armed robbery and another carjacking. Officers eventually arrested Babitz in Las Cruces. New court documents filed this week show Babitz could now face the death penalty. Two of his charges—carjacking resulting in death and causing death through use and possession of a firearm—carry the death penalty at the federal level. According to a legal expert, it is rare for a suspect to face the death penalty in New Mexico, but it’s not unheard of. The expert claims there may be discussions happening behind the scenes to try and resolve the case in a way that it doesn’t go to trial.State charges against Babitz were dropped in September 2022 due to federal prosecution. Babitz is due in federal court on Nov. 19.
Zachary Babitz, accused of killing 83-year-old Gordon Peter Wilson outside a Best Buy in Santa Fe last August, may face the death penalty, according to new court documents.
Frantic 911 calls were made to Santa Fe police on Aug. 6, 2024, reporting the shooting.
“Yeah, we just got a shooting right here on Zaporano,” one caller said. Another caller added, “He just shot and killed an old man and robbed him right in front of the Best Buy.”
Newly released body camera footage shows officers rushing to the scene with sirens blaring. Investigators say Babitz shot and killed Wilson in the parking lot moments after Wilson parked his car. Surveillance video shows Babitz approaching Wilson, leading to a fight, then a shooting.
Cameras captured Babitz walking through neighborhoods and into a grocery store prior to the shooting.
Records show Babitz previously spent 20 years in prison for armed robbery and stolen vehicles charges and was released in March of 2024. According to court records, he was sentenced in California and was transferred to New Mexico through Interstate Compact.
Babitz was on probation at the time of the shooting, for felony convictions in 2018, including six counts of robbery, receiving or transferring a stolen car, possession of drugs and possession of a weapon or explosive by a prisoner.
Detectives revealed Babitz cut off his ankle monitor five days before the incident. Law enforcement searched for Babitz for four days, during which he was accused of several other violent crimes, including armed robbery and another carjacking. Officers eventually arrested Babitz in Las Cruces.
New court documents filed this week show Babitz could now face the death penalty. Two of his charges—carjacking resulting in death and causing death through use and possession of a firearm—carry the death penalty at the federal level. According to a legal expert, it is rare for a suspect to face the death penalty in New Mexico, but it’s not unheard of. The expert claims there may be discussions happening behind the scenes to try and resolve the case in a way that it doesn’t go to trial.
State charges against Babitz were dropped in September 2022 due to federal prosecution. Babitz is due in federal court on Nov. 19.
