Israel-Gaza Conflict: Caplok Operation & Hamas Warning

by Archynetys World Desk

Israel Begins Operation to Seize Gaza City, Hamas Issues Warning

By Amelia Roth | GAZA CITY – 2025/08/21 10:23:27


The Hamas group has strongly condemned the Israeli military’s proclamation of an operation to seize control of Gaza City, the largest city in the Gaza Strip.Hamas accused Israel of disregarding mediation efforts aimed at halting the conflict and securing the release of hostages.

“Today’s announcement by the terrorist occupation army about the start of the operation of the city of Gaza and nearly one million residents and refugees there … showed … ignoring openly of the efforts made by the mediators,” Hamas saeid in a statement, as reported by AFP Thursday.

Hamas also criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for allegedly not responding to the latest ceasefire proposals submitted by mediators. Hamas had previously approved proposals from Qatar and Egypt.

Hamas accused Netanyahu of being “a real barrier for any agreement” and claimed he does not care about the lives of Israeli hostages.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz approved a military plan on wednesday to conquer gaza City, authorizing the call-up of approximately 60,000 Israeli reserve troops, increasing pressure on Hamas as mediators continued to push for a ceasefire.

Katz’s order to send more troops to Gaza City was confirmed to AFP by his spokesman. An Israeli official stated separately that the government remained firm in its demand for the release of all hostages in any agreement.

The framework approved by Hamas in the latest ceasefire proposal includes an initial 60-day ceasefire, the gradual release of hostages, the release of some Palestinian prisoners, and provisions allowing humanitarian assistance into the Gaza Strip.

IDF Claims Control of Gaza City Suburbs

“We will deepen the attack on Hamas in the city of Gaza, the government’s terror and military fortress for the terrorist organization.”

Following Katz’s approval, the Israeli military announced the start of the operation to seize Gaza City. Tel Aviv claimed its troops had already taken control of the suburbs of Gaza.

“We have begun the preliminary operation and the first stage of attack on the city of Gaza, and currently the IDF (Israeli Armed Forces) troops have controlled the Gaza City suburbs,” said Israeli military spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin, in a statement reported by Reuters.

Defrin stated that Israeli forces had operated in the outskirts of Gaza and claimed hamas is now a “battered” guerrilla force.

“We will deepen the attack on hamas in the city of Gaza, the government’s terror and military fortress for the terrorist organization,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Head of the emergency Committee in Gaza, Mustafa Qazzaat, described the situation in Gaza City as a “major disaster” with “large numbers” of people displaced from residential areas in the eastern part of the city.

Anis Daloul, 64, a resident of Gaza City, said that the Israeli military had “destroyed most of the buildings in Zeitoun and made thousands of people displaced”.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the current situation in Gaza City?
The Israeli military has begun an operation to seize gaza City, claiming control of the suburbs. Hamas has condemned the operation.
What are the main points of contention between israel and Hamas?
The conflict is rooted in territorial disputes, political tensions, and Hamas’s control of the Gaza Strip.
What are the proposed terms for a ceasefire?
The latest ceasefire proposal includes an initial 60-day ceasefire, the release of hostages, and the release of some Palestinian prisoners.


Sources

  • AFP
  • Reuters

Related Links

About the Author: Amelia Roth is a seasoned journalist covering Middle Eastern affairs.


Related Posts

Leave a Comment