Epstein Files: DOJ Removes Photos – What We Know

by Archynetys Entertainment Desk

The Justice Department has removed documents from the files of the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, including a photo of President Donald Trump, from its website due to concerns expressed by victims, Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche said.

The official rejected criticism suggesting the deletion was related to the US president and said the photo featuring Trump also showed uncensored images of women.

At least 13 files, out of thousands posted Friday related to Epstein, disappeared from the website without explanation by Saturday.

Democrats on the House Oversight Committee questioned the removal of the images. In a social media post, Attorney General Pam Bondi was asked, “What else is being hidden?”

The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) reported on Sunday in a post on X that Trump’s image was flagged by a judge in the Southern District of New York for “possible additional actions in order to protect victims.”

It added that the image was temporarily removed for further review “out of an abundance of caution.”

“Upon review, it was determined that there is no evidence that any of Epstein’s victims appear in the photograph, and it has been republished without any alteration or censorship,” the DOJ stated.

The image was restored early Sunday and is available through a link to the website. The other files had not yet been restored by Sunday night.

Blanche called the suggestion that the photo be removed because of the president “ridiculous.” “It has nothing to do with President Trump,” he told NBC News.

“Dozens of photos of President Trump with Mr. Epstein have already been released.”

“So the idea that we would remove a single photo because it featured President Trump is ridiculous,” he added.

Blanche said a New York judge “has ordered us to listen to any victims or victims’ rights groups if they have any concerns,” referring to the reason for removing some previously released files.

“Several photographs were removed after being posted on Friday,” he said.

Trump has consistently denied any wrongdoing regarding Epstein and has not been accused of any crimes by his victims. There is no indication that these photographs involve any crime.

Criticisms against the Department of Justice

The DOJ has been criticized for failing to release all the files by a Friday deadline, as required by law.

The documents, which include photos, videos and investigative material related to Epstein, were highly anticipated after Congress passed a law requiring their full release by Friday.

Congressman Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky who led the effort to release the files, said he was frustrated by the Trump administration’s response and said his priority is getting justice for the victims.

He indicated that he is preparing a contempt charge against Attorney General Pam Bondi.

“They are ignoring the spirit and the letter of the law,” he told CBS News on Sunday. “The stance they have taken is very worrying. I will not be satisfied until the victims are satisfied.”

The image included in the deleted files shows a desk in Epstein’s home with an open drawer full of other photos, one of which shows the president with Epstein, first lady Melania Trump and Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s associate convicted of his crimes.

You can also see framed photos above the desk.

Ten of the missing files include images apparently showing the same room: a small massage room with clouds painted on the ceiling and patterned brown wallpaper with multiple nudes. Some appear to be photographs, others are works of art.

The faces of most of the women on the wall have been censored. However, one appears crossed out in one file, but is clearly visible in three others.

Another face remains unredacted in all files, while a painted image of the same person is also visible.

On Saturday, Democrats on the House Oversight Committee, questioning the deletion of the files, posted the missing Trump photo on social media and asked Attorney General Pam Bondi if it was true that the image had been deleted.

“What else is being hidden? We need transparency for the American public,” the committee wrote.

Figures such as Pope John Paul II and Bill Clinton appear in photos from Epstein’s archives. [Departamento de Justicia de EE.UU.]

Growing distrust

The deletion of the files comes at a time of growing distrust toward the US government and Epstein’s files.

The documents released Friday came to light thanks to an act of Congress that forced the DOJ to release them.

The DOJ stated that it would comply with Congress’s request to release the documents, with some conditions.

Personally identifiable information about Epstein’s victims, material depicting child sexual abuse, and material depicting physical abuse were redacted.

Also any records that “could jeopardize an ongoing federal investigation” or any classified document that must remain secret to protect “national defense or foreign policy.”

However, many of the published documents were heavily censored.

Little new information was obtained about Epstein’s crimes, and documents such as internal Justice Department memos about charging decisions were not included in the released files.

With additional information provided by Alison Benjamin and Benedict Garman.

gray line

[BBC]

click here to read more stories from BBC News Mundo.

Subscribe here to our new newsletter to receive a selection of our best content of the week every Friday.

You can also follow us on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, X, Facebook and in our new whatsapp channelwhere you will find breaking news and our best content.

And remember that you can receive notifications in our app. Download the latest version and activate them.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment