Bersamin on Duterte Lawyer’s PH Return Plea – Kaufman Questioned

by Archynetys News Desk

Philippine Government Responds to Duterte’s Legal counsel’s Request

Executive Secretary dismisses appeal for former President’s return amid ICC proceedings.


MANILA – Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin has dismissed a request made by the legal counsel of former President Rodrigo Duterte to allow his return to the Philippines.Bersamin stated that the Philippine government does not concern itself with the opinions of Duterte’s legal team.

The request came from lawyer Nicholas Kaufman, who asked the Marcos administration to permit Duterte’s return should his request for interim release be granted, citing Duterte’s “age and conditions of detention” at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands.

“Who is Kaufman?” Bersamin questioned reporters at the Senate when asked about Kaufman’s appeal.

“I am not too sure how to respond to that because that’s outside of our purview. Whatever opinions supposed lawyers have about their respective clients, we leave it to them. we should not be made to react because we do not care about their comments,” said Bersamin, a former Supreme Court chief justice and a senior member of the Marcos Cabinet.

Kaufman had previously stated that Duterte’s “progressively deteriorating medical situation” has impacted his ability to understand evidence and provide instructions.

“The defense sincerely hopes that the current administration, which [saw] fit to outsource its obligation to afford the former president a fair trial in the country of his birth, will now let him return home, with dignity, for the purpose of interim release untill the end of all legal proceedings,” the lawyer said.

Duterte, 80, has been in ICC custody since March. In August, he reiterated his request to the ICC for an interim release to an undisclosed country “subject to any conditions deemed appropriate.”

The ICC announced on Monday that the confirmation of charges hearing for Duterte’s crimes against humanity case was postponed after Duterte’s camp stated that he was “not fit to stand trial.” The hearing was initially scheduled for September 23.

“We should not be made to react as we do not care about their comments,”

Understanding the ICC and its Involvement

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is Rodrigo Duterte in ICC custody?
Rodrigo Duterte is in ICC custody due to allegations of crimes against humanity.
What is an interim release?
An interim release is a temporary release from custody, often with conditions, pending further legal proceedings.
Why was the confirmation of charges hearing postponed?
The hearing was postponed because duterte’s camp claimed he was “not fit to stand trial.”


By Anya Sharma | MANILA – 2025/09/10 07:51:22




Related Posts

Leave a Comment