Court Temporarily Blocks Trump’s Military Deployment in California
Table of Contents
A federal appeals court has temporarily halted a lower court’s decision that would have restricted President Donald trump’s ability to deploy military personnel in California without teh state’s consent.
The legal battle between President Donald Trump and California continues as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals issued an emergency ruling late Thursday, temporarily suspending a previous decision by a lower court. This allows the management to maintain its deployment of military personnel to Los Angeles for government raids and protest monitoring.
Earlier that day, a federal judge sided with Governor Gavin Newsom, arguing that President Trump had overstepped his authority by mobilizing 4,000 National Guard troops and 700 Marines without the state’s request. A new hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.
Judge Charles Breyer’s initial ruling was a setback for the Trump administration, particularly in its ongoing disputes with Governor Newsom. Though, Washington quickly appealed the decision, bringing it before the Ninth Circuit, which is considered more favorable to the Republican President due to his appointment of two of the three judges on the panel. The third judge was appointed by Joe Biden.
Judge Breyer’s order would have returned control of the National Guard to Governor Newsom starting Friday, allowing them to resume activities such as border surveillance, combating fentanyl trafficking, and assisting in wildfire suppression.
“Donald Trump must work with the limits of the Constitution, it is what a court has said this afternoon. He is not a king, he is not a monarch. He must stop acting as if it were,” said Newsom. The governor also posted an image on X, depicting the explosion of the Death Star, referencing his previous comparison of President Trump to Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars.
California initiated legal action on Monday, seeking to prevent the federal government’s militarization of its streets.The state argued that the Constitution grants states authority over their security forces unless they request federal intervention. “The Constitution and our laws strictly limit the interior use of the military, including the National Guard,” the lawsuit stated.
California Attorney General rob Bonta asserted that the Posse Comitatus Act restricts the military’s role in domestic law enforcement. “This authority reserves for very specific circumstances, which are not fulfilled now,” he stated in the 22-page complaint. The legal challenge emphasizes that the limitations on military involvement within U.S. borders date back to the nation’s founding fathers, who were “distrustful of military governments.”
Attorney General Bonta also accused the administration of escalating tensions by deploying troops. “Since the president announced his plan, the situation has climbed quickly and the discomfort in the streets has grown, which has led to the closing of roads and has put people in danger,” he said Monday. Following this, Mayor Karen Bass implemented a curfew in the city center to curb protests and vandalism.
This lawsuit marks the 24th legal challenge filed by California against the Trump administration during his second term. On Thursday, the state filed its 25th lawsuit, contesting Washington’s attempt to revoke California’s plan to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles.
Attorney General Bonta emphasized that Governor Newsom has previously requested federal assistance, including National Guard support for local authorities during fires in Los Angeles in early 2025 and during the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020. “This is the first time as 1965 in which a president has activated the guard without requesting a governor,” added Bonta.
The Trump administration dismissed Newsom’s lawsuit as a “political ruse” on Wednesday. Government lawyers argued that President Trump invoked discretionary emergency powers, which do not require state approval for troop deployment. “This statute [el tÃtulo 10] Empuera to the President to determine what forces he considers that they are necesary to suppress a rebellion or to execute the armed forces, “they say.The lawyers say that the Executive is not proved in this case is a” hazardous “and” unprecedented “fact.
Judge Charles Breyer, appointed by Bill Clinton, sided with California. “The complainants have proven in their argument that the president’s invocation was not legal, since he has exceeded his authority violating title 10,” the judge stated. He had previously denied Newsom’s request for an emergency ruling on Tuesday, postponing the hearing until Thursday after hearing arguments from both sides for 70 minutes.
the deployed military personnel are stationed at eight locations throughout Los Angeles, primarily guarding federal buildings. Approximately 150 personnel are monitoring internal security facilities in Paramount, near the site of protests against ICE raids. Around 300 are stationed near Los Angeles International Airport,while 100 are assisting ICE in executing deportation orders. An additional 32 are located in Santa Ana, Orange County. The final destination of these troops will depend on the outcome of the ongoing legal proceedings.
“Donald Trump must work with the limits of the Constitution…He is not a king, he is not a monarch. He must stop acting as if it were,” said Newsom.
Understanding the Legal Battle
The dispute between California and the Trump administration highlights the complex relationship between state and federal powers, particularly concerning the deployment of military forces within state borders. The legal arguments center on the interpretation of the U.S. Constitution and the Posse Comitatus Act, which limits the use of the military for domestic law enforcement purposes.
