Concerns about the departure of migrants in mass groups came back last week when Mexican Home Secretary, Olga Sanchez Cordero, said a group of 20,000 people was formed for the United States.
A caravan of Honduran migrants, called by strangers to leave for the United States next week, has little chance of reaching the participation of thousands of people when they left last year, experts said Friday.
The former deputy Bartolo Fuentes and the researcher of the migration phenomenon Cesar Castillo agreed that if the caravan is formed next week, it will be a small group of no more than 200 people.
Fuentes, who was accused by the Honduran government of encouraging the towing caravans of last year, told AFP that the caravans remain in "small groups because people travel by public transport" to emigrate.
(You may be interested: how the migrant caravan became Trump's election strategy)
In groups of the application, WhatsApp circulated a call initiated by strangers to leave for the United States in a caravan from the Metropolitan Transportation Center of San Pedro Sula in northern Honduras.
The first caravan with about 2,000 people left from that bus station on 13 October, accompanied by Salvadorans and Guatemalans. Subsequently, other minor groups left San Pedro Sula and other places in Honduras.
Concerns about the departure of migrants in mass groups emerged last week when Mexican Home Secretary, Olga Sanchez Cordero, said a group of 20,000 people, called "caravan mothers," were formed for the United States.
The group is not formed and both the Mexican government and groups working with migrants have denied the official access.
"Caravans will continue to go out as long as the economic conditions in the country are not alleviated, but they will not be as great as they have been before," predicted Castillo, a researcher at the National University Migration Observatory.
The caravans caused the irritation of President Donald Trump, who militarized the border with Mexico to limit his entry into the United States.
Sources indicated that current migrants would rather pay $ 200 to a "coyote" to reach the Mexican border with the United States to have a safer journey.
He recalled that, according to the migration institute in Mexico, 30,105 Central American migrants went through that country between 18 October and 25 February and that detention centers in the United States are "at the top".
You can see it: Migrant Caravan: between uncertainty and repression
According to Castillo, the repression faced by migrants when they arrive in caravans on the American border discourages them from traveling in large groups and opts to travel alone.
Many chose to make the trip in a caravan last year, given that it offers security to the criminal gangs in Mexico.
"The economic situation is deteriorating every day and there is more hopelessness and caravans will follow, but small," said Castillo.