The pilots did not request permission from the controllers.

Delta riders who bombed primary school yards with jet fuel before making an emergency landing at Los Angeles International Airport they did not notify air traffic control of the need to throw fuel and did not throw it at an optimum altitude, the FAA said. Wednesday.

Pilots are generally directed by drivers to an appropriate area to discharge fuel, a protocol that did not happen on Tuesday, the FAA said in a statement.

“The FAA continues to investigate the circumstances behind this incident,” the statement said.

Delta made national news on Tuesday when pilots of flight 89 bound for Shanghai threw fuel before making an emergency landing just after takeoff. Delta said the twin-engine Boeing 777 had experienced engine problems.

Dozens of people on the ground, including students from several elementary schools, were treated for eye and skin irritation, Los Angeles County firefighters said. Decontamination stations were established, but there were no injuries that required hospitalization, authorities said.

Peter Goelz, former managing director of the National Transportation Safety Board, said it could be too early to judge the decisions of a pilot trying to ensure the safety of his passengers and crew.

“A 777 that flies nonstop to Shanghai is absolutely loaded with fuel,” Goelz said. “So loaded that landing immediately after takeoff poses a significant danger.”

Goelz, who is not involved in the investigation, said the guidelines usually require that fuel be thrown over water and / or at an altitude of 10,000 feet so that it can disperse and minimize environmental damage. But the rules change for a very heavy plane that needs to return to the ground, he said.

An unidentified girl covers her mouth when she leaves with a relative of Park Avenue Elementary School in Cudahy, California, on Tuesday, January 14, 2020.

Goelz said each pilot knows the history of Swissair Flight 111, an MD-11 bound for Geneva from New York that collapsed in the Atlantic Ocean off Nova Scotia on September 2, 1998. None of the 229 people on board survived The crew had called in case of emergency, but was flying away from an airport to be able to throw fuel on the water when it crashed.

“The pilots know that when you have a problem that threatens the aircraft and you have to get rid of the fuel, you get rid of it quickly,” he said. “You don’t want things like this to happen (pollution), but the alternative is too serious.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *