One person was killed and two others were wounded in the attack on Friday by a person with a knife against several bystanders in a central street of the Australian city of Melbourne, which the police described as a "terrorist" act and which was claimed by the terrorist group ISIS.
The attacker, who was not identified but known to the police and counterterrorist services, died half an hour after arriving at the hospital, where he was transferred after he was shot in the police chest when he tried to reduce him.
"From what we know so far, we treat this as a terrorist incident," Graham Ashton, Victoria Police Chief, a Southeastern Australian state whose capital is Melborune, told a press conference.
"He is known to the police, actually in relation to some of his relatives who are of our interest, he is someone who is therefore known to the Victoria police and the federal intelligence services," explained the police officer.
The attacker lived in a suburb in north-west Melbourne and had a history of drug-related crimes, theft and driving, Ashton said, avoiding giving more information about the attacker.
According to the SBS chain, the individual was a Somali with a relative who was arrested last year and accused of terrorism charges.
ISIS assumed the responsibility of the attack through the agency Amaq, related to the jihadist group, and assured that the author of the stabbings was one of his fighters.
The attack took place at 16:20 local time in the center of Bourke Street when the attacker parked a car at the entrance of a shopping mall and left the burning vehicle with a knife with which he abused several pedestrians, one of whom died in his place .
According to Ashton, after a minute a vehicle with police officers arrived and the attacker attacked the officers with punches through the window shortly before more police arrived.
"At that moment he pulled out a knife and tried to attack the police officers, one of whom had his gun fired and shot into the attacker's chest once," said the commissioner.
Images broadcast on social networks showed the burning vehicle slowly on its way to the path, as well as the attacks of a tall man dressed in white trousers and a black tunic, while several police officers tried to reduce it.
Bourke Street was the scene of a deliberate abuse on 20 January 2017 in which six people died, including a baby and a ten-year-old girl, allegedly committed by Dimitrious Gargasoulas, 28 years old.
Gargasoulas, who was conditionally acquitted for other crimes, faces a lawsuit before the Supreme Court of Victoria, the highest court in that state, claiming that he suffers from a mental illness and was under the influence of drugs.