Jakarta. The last of the three Indonesian fishermen who were captured and taken hostage by an armed group in the southern Philippines last year was released by the Philippine army on Wednesday, the Indonesian Foreign Ministry said.
Armed men captured Muhammad Farhan (27), his father Maharudin Lunani (48) and another Indonesian fisherman, Samiun Maneu (27), in Lahad Datu, near Sabah, Malaysia, on September 23.
After 90 days in captivity, Maharudin and Samiun were rescued in a military operation that killed a Filipino soldier on December 22, but the kidnappers did not let Farhan go.
He was finally rescued by Filipino soldiers Wednesday night in a raid on Baranggay Bato Bato near Indanan Sulu, the ministry said in a statement Thursday.
Farhan was taken to Westmincom Hospital in Zamboanga for a medical check-up before being delivered to the Indonesian Embassy in Manila to be sent home.
The kidnappers are believed to be linked to the militant group Abu Sayyaf.