Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex make a gesture during their visit to Canada House in gratitude for the warm Canadian hospitality and support they received during their recent stay in Canada, on January 7, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS – WPA Pool / Getty Images)
Harry and Meghan, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, could have obtained the queen’s approval to move to Canada, but the country’s prime minister said “there are still many discussions to have” about the plans.
Speaking to the Canadian television network Global News on Monday, Justin Trudeau said there were still details to plan, both in the United Kingdom and in Canada, including security costs.
“There are still many decisions to be made by the Royal Family, the Sussex themselves in terms of the level of commitment they choose to have,” Trudeau said. “Obviously we support their reflections, but we also have responsibilities in that.”
“We are not completely sure what the final decisions will be,” he added. Trudeau said the federal government had not been consulted about the movement so far and that the costs would have to be assessed.
“I think most Canadians are very much in favor of royalty being here, but what does that look like and what kind of costs are involved, there are still many discussions to keep up,” Trudeau said. “There is a general feeling of appreciation for the Sussex.”
Trudeau’s comments came after a real confrontation Monday afternoon with high-ranking royals gathered at the Queen’s estate in Norfolk, Sandringham, to discuss Meghan and Harry’s surprise announcement last week of that they should withdraw from their positions as “royalty members”. The couple wants to work to be financially independent and divide their time between the United Kingdom and Canada.
Harry had face-to-face conversations with the queen, Prince Charles and Prince William with Meghan, reportedly joining the discussions over the phone from Canada.
The queen, who was reportedly not consulted before the announcement and said she was disappointed by the decision, issued a statement saying that a “transition period” had been agreed with Harry and Meghan.
“My family and I fully support Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain members of the royal family who work full time, we respect and understand their desire to live a life more independent as a family while I remain a valuable part of my family. “
“Harry and Meghan have made it clear that they don’t want to rely on public funds in their new lives,” the statement said, adding: “Therefore, it was agreed that there will be a transition period in which the Sussex will spend time in Canada. and the United Kingdom “
The details on how the couple will achieve financial autonomy and who will pay the bill for their security retinue are still unclear. The queen finalized her statement by stating that there were “complex issues that my family had to resolve and that there is still work to be done, but I have asked that the final decisions be reached in the next few days.”
According to reports, the couple had spent Christmas on the island of Vancouver and Meghan, who previously lived in Canada, is now back in British Columbia with the couple’s son, Archie.