Ole Gunnar Solskjær will in a week lead Manchester United in the season’s first Premier League match, with Crystal Palace in the opposite half of the field. United have been given an extra week off as a result of a late end to the season.
Ahead of the match, he faces some dilemmas in his freshman. Should new signing Donny van de Beek play from the start, or should he start on the bench? Will it be Luke Shaw or young Brandon Williams on the left back? Should he continue to give confidence to goalkeeper David de Gea, or should he give Dean Henderson the chance?
The latter dilemma has now been commented on by former United player Gary Neville. He believes that Solskjær should be careful about rolling too much in the goalkeeper position.
– The area on the court where you need stability is in the goalkeeper position. You need to know who your number one is. You can not do fixing and tricking. I have never seen it work in any club or national team where it is to be decided between two goalkeepers, Neville says according to the local newspaper Manchester Evening News.
They favor Gea
Although there is nothing special to suggest that there will be a goalkeeper change already in the first league game, de Gea has been under pressure in recent years. Although he still delivers some strong matches in the cage, there have also been a few more mistakes in the last two years.
– I think it is quite clear that de Gea will stand. It is not too long ago that Solskjær thought he was the world’s best goalkeeper. But they have two good goalkeepers – in fact more with Sergio Romero in addition, says TV 2’s football expert Erik Thorstvedt to Dagbladet.
– De Gea has not come close to being at his best for the last two and a half years. At the same time, I think it is easier to get the Gea best again than to lift Henderson to that level, the former national team goalkeeper continues.
On TV 2’s charge for the Premier League season, Thorstvedt thought that Henderson had the best season of the two goalkeepers last season. The young goalkeeper impressed between the posts for the surprise team Sheffield United.
– Yes, I think Henderson had the best season, because he took a lot. At the same time, it is different to stand for a team where he has quite a lot to do, in addition to the defenders throwing themselves in and blocking. In United, you have a closer defense in front of you, but when the opponent gets chances, there are often great chances, says Thorstvedt.
– Unfortunate situation
Last season, Manchester United conceded 36 goals in the Premier League, while Sheffield United conceded 39 goals. Almost evenly, in other words.
He points out that there is quite a difference between conceding goals for Manchester United and Sheffield United.
– You do not get away with anything (in Manchester United). Henderson will probably see that he gets more criticism when he stands for a club like United. De Gea, for his part, has ended up in an unfortunate situation where when he makes a mistake, many people think “here we go again”. While when Alisson in Liverpool makes a mistake, it is a little more “yes, yes”, says the TV 2 expert.
Thorstvedt points out that it has become more and more common for one goalkeeper to be in the Premier League, while another is in the cups. It’s probably happening this season too.