The United States will officially quit the World Health Organization (WHO). Senate Foreign Affairs chief Democrat Bob Menendez said Congress was informed on Tuesday. A spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres confirmed that the announcement to leave the United States had been submitted.
The spokesman said one of the conditions for leaving is that all U.S. contributions to the organization have been paid. Guterres is currently working with the WHO to see if all conditions are met. The withdrawal would then take effect on July 6, 2021. This was also confirmed by a senior government official from the German Press Agency.
Trump accuses WHO of being late in informing about the risk of the corona virus and being under the control of the Chinese government, even though China is making less contributions to the organization than the United States. He made the Geneva-based organization responsible for the large number of deaths. WHO also closed the necessary reforms. The US president also accuses China of not preventing the global spread of the corona virus and threatens to face consequences.
Democrat Menendez criticized Trump for leaving the WHO. Describing Trump’s response to the corona crisis as chaotic is an understatement, Menendez wrote: The decision would “not protect the life or interests of the Americans – it leaves the Americans sick and America alone.”
Editor’s note: Originally, this message said that the United States had officially left WHO. The withdrawal will not take effect until 2021. We have corrected the relevant passage.