Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth thinks Europe should thank Trump for the war in Iran.
At the same time, he wants $200 billion from the US taxpayer to continue the war.
– It takes money to kill bad guys, he says.
The cost of the war in Iran continues to soar, while oil and gas prices have skyrocketed since the initial attacks by the US and Israel.
CNBC reports that Secretary of War Pete Hegseth is looking for more money from Congress and the American taxpayer to continue the war.
The article in brief
Table of Contents
The war in Iran is pushing oil and gas prices up sharply.
Hegseth is demanding $200 billion from Congress to continue the effort.
Several European countries are ready to send warships to the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s attack on Qatar’s gas plant shakes the energy market.
200 billion dollars is the latest figure that has been raised.
– We are now turning to Congress and our contacts there to ensure that we receive sufficient funding. It takes money to kill bad guys, he says at a press conference on Thursday.
“Europe should thank Trump”
At the same time, Hegseth says that “Europe should thank Trump” for the war in Iran and for him “stopping this terrorist state from holding the world hostage”, according to the Independent.
He announces that the attacks on Thursday are the biggest so far, “just like it was yesterday”.
The press conference was also attended by the US’s top military commander, Dan Caine. He admitted that Iran has “a certain military capability” left.
Furthermore, American A-10 fighter jets and Apache helicopters have begun to carry out attacks in eastern Iran to “hunt down and destroy” Iranian drones, writes the BBC.
Several European countries stand up
On Thursday, Britain, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Germany and Japan announced they were ready to send warships to the Strait of Hormuz.
This is to secure sea transport through the strait and stabilize the global energy market.
“We call on Iran to immediately cease its threats, mine-laying, drone and robotic attacks, and other attempts to block the strait to commercial shipping, and to comply with UN Security Council Resolution 2817,” write the countries in a joint statement according to Sky News.
The Iranian attack on Qatar’s Ras Laffan gas export facility has hit the market hard.
“Our response to Israel’s attack on our infrastructure used only a fraction of our capacity,” writes Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on X.


