Dusty Baker is scheduled to meet with Astros officials about his managerial vacancy on Monday, but says he has not heard from the Mets or the Red Sox.
“I’m busy, I haven’t heard from anyone” Baker told television reporters in Houston on Sunday. “First come, first served and everyone wants to feel they are wanted.”
The Post reported Friday that Mets officials were discussing Baker as a possibility of replacing Carlos Beltrán, who separated from the organization last week after he was named in an MLB report detailing the illegal theft of cartels. of the Astros in 2017.
Baker, 70, has a defender in the Mets’ special assistant, Omar Minaya, with whom he has developed a close relationship over the years, according to an industry source. Even so, Baker was not considered a serious possibility in the search for the Mets to replace Mickey Callaway at the beginning of the offseason, as team officials sought candidates who believed they would provide a collaborative approach to the position.
But the search dynamics may have changed after Beltrán’s departure. Baker, who previously interviewed for the work of the Phillies who went to Joe Girardi this offseason, has a solid reputation in the game and would be a public relations victory for a Mets franchise that suffered collateral damage in the consequences of Astros trap scheme.
Baker has been removed from the game since he led the Nationals to successive titles of the Eastern Division of the National League in 2016 and ’17. Buck Showalter and John Gibbons are other veteran managers who reportedly have met with the Astros.
Gibbons, the former Blue Jays manager, had a telephone conversation with general manager Brodie Van Wagenen during the last Mets managerial search, but did not receive an invitation for an interview with the team. It is not clear if Showalter spoke with the Mets during the last search, but was not chosen for a sitting interview. Showalter was a finalist for the work of the Phillies.