Alex de Minaur made a heartbreaking call to retire from the Australian Open this year, revealing that he has a four-centimeter two-degree tear in his abdomen.
De Minaur, the best seeded, was expelled from Adelaide International on Monday due to the same abdominal problem he suffered in the grueling campaign of the Australian ATP Cup.
While De Minaur had hoped that he would recover in time to appear at his house slam, his injury is still so severe that it can only serve under his arm. The 20-year-old is looking for a four-week recovery.
Watch more than 50 LIVE sports on Kayo! Stream to your TV, mobile device, tablet or computer. Only $ 25 / month, cancel at any time. New to Kayo? Get your free 14-day trial and start streaming instantly>
“It’s serious,” De Minaur said Thursday afternoon.
“Getting out of bed hurts. Although he killed me, it’s the right decision. ”
Earlier in the week, De Minaur painted a less than optimistic image for his Australian prospects, saying that his injury was a “day-to-day” proposal.
“It is something that is not ideal and at this stage we are only looking for short-term goals and trying to improve every day (with) a lot of treatment,” he said.
“I have seen the physios, I have seen the doctors and will continue to do so throughout the week and I hope to be ready to play in Melbourne.”
De Minaur had been playing well for the Australian Open, winning two singles for Australia in the ATP Cup tournament last week and taking Rafael Nadal to three sets.
It would have been planted No. 20 at the Australian Open that begins Monday at Melbourne Park.
– with AAP