– I think it will be a lot of fun! That’s what ski jumper Frida Berger says, who has been taken out to the women’s World Cup final in Russia.
She had absolutely no plans to join. But star Maren Lundby feels discharged after the World Cup – and the gold – she took on a big hill. She announces due date, and the talent Berger comes in.
She makes up the troupe together with Silje Opseth, Thea Minyan Bjørseth and Anna Odine Strøm.
The World Cup ends from March 19 to 28 in Nizhny Tagil and Tchaikovsky.
– It was a bit of a shock. I thought the season was pretty much over. It was just to say “yes” and join, says Berger, who is very excited.
– Who are you?
– I’m Frida and I’m 16 years old. I live a little outside Asker and usually jump in Vikersund. Dad did ski jumping. I follow in his footsteps, says the young girl.
That such young jumpers get the opportunity in the World Cup has happened before. But it is not everyday food.
– What do you hope to achieve?
– I have no super big expectations, other than doing my best.
Silje Opseth, who is in third place in the World Cup overall, has the following advice for the teenage debutant:
– Ask and dig – and be curious. From my own debut, I remember that all nerves were in full swing. It’s a lot about relaxing and having fun.
Berger has previously tried his hand at the Continental Cup, which is the second highest level in the sport of jumping. She has a 7th place from Brotterode in Germany in February. In Russia, among other things, team competition is on the program.
– Very exciting, declares coach Christian Meyer.
– We will wrap her well, so that she does not have to start and finish. I think it will be a great experience for Frida.
Meyer says that the trip to Nizhny Tagil will take 24 hours. First it’s about getting to Munich. Then there is a charter flight to Yekaterinburg, before the last stretch takes place by bus.
The airline has received an extra phone call to try to get the ski jumps from Norway!
Opseth is in third place behind Nika Kriznar and Sara Takanashi in the World Cup, but says she will be happy with a podium place overall. Up to Kriznar there are 134 points. She is 129 points behind Takanashi with four individual races left.
For Lundby, the season is over.
– The reason is that she does not feel beaten after the World Cup, Meyer says.
– It was probably a strain what happened there – and the road to the World Cup. I almost went and waited for it. She has had an injury period and a tough run-up period. She’s been on.