Primary and secondary, paths of excellence – Panorama de la Bretagne

by

Lecture : 4 minutes

It is good to take the road to school in Brittany. The region benefits from a rather favorable school environment which attracts teachers from other regions and supports more than 90% of the enrolled staff until they pass the certificate and the bac.

When, in Molène, one fine day in 2005, the parents of students from the Sainte-Philomène school asked the direction of Catholic education to merge the private establishment with that of the public, they turned a page of history of Brittany marked by two decades of conflict.

In 2019, the passion seems to have definitely fallen back in Brittany. Private and public education now coexist, refocused on educational issues for the good of their school community, 620,000 young people educated from kindergarten to terminal at a rate of 40% in the private sector and 60% in the public. More than 125,000 young Bretons are also studying in higher education. If we add the figures for Loire-Atlantique (270,000 pupils and 60,000 students in Nantes), one inhabitant in five of historic Brittany follows a school course. Considerable, the stakes are of two types: the good adequacy of the teaching means to the numbers to be educated and the relevance of the training offers.

Numbers vary according to the territories. In Brittany, if the tendency is for the number of secondary school pupils to increase slightly, the number of primary school students is lower.

decline since the peak of the years 2006 to 2014 when we exceeded 330,000 schoolchildren. At the start of the 2019 school year, 611,724 young Bretons joined the classrooms, i.e. 4,000 fewer than at the start of the 2018 school year. A less promising school demography than in other regions such as the Pays de la Loire – notably the Loire – Atlantic – Aquitaine or, further from us, Rhône-Alpes. This decrease in primary school enrollment in the public leads to a drop in the number of open teaching positions: 120 in 2019 against 230 in 2018. Breton classes are a little more busy than elsewhere and the academy modulates needs to maintain a large number of small rural schools. Ille-et-Vilaine, with its strong demographic and economic dynamism and the only Breton department to gain students, drains a large part of the teaching staff. However, and if we compare to national figures, Brittany is slightly less endowed with nursery and primary teachers. Indeed, there are 4.8% of schoolchildren but only 4.6% of school teachers. For the second degree, and despite the latest decreases in teaching staff, we are in balance.

Few priority education needs. Brittany benefits from a rather favorable school environment. It has the lowest rate of teachers working in priority education zones in France: 7.5% in schools, 8.7% in colleges against an average of around 20% in the rest. from France. In addition, the region is particularly attractive for experienced teachers: each year, it concentrates nearly 10% of requests (first wish) for interacademy transfers, almost on a par with Bordeaux. Consequence: it displays the record for the proportion of tenured teachers transferred to the region: 77% against 10% in Amiens!

So many factors of stability to face the reforms that will mark the 2020s: that of the bac and the return to fundamentals after that of the four-day week for a large majority of young Bretons.

More than 92% of receipts at the bin. Finally, so many factors which make it possible to envisage perpetuating the great academic success of young Bretons in secondary education. This is evidenced by the 2019 success rates for the national patent diploma (89.1%) and the bac (92.5%), well above the national average. The performance indicators of Breton high schools trace Breton excellence every year.

In 2018, six high schools obtained 100% success in the bac, all series combined, in Brittany. And fourteen high schools came close to flawlessness with 99% of receipts. What private establishments? No, but almost … Once the sesame in his pocket, opens, for new graduates, the long path of integration into a higher education establishment. In September 2018, 93% of candidates from the Rennes academy had received an admission proposal, with most of the remaining 7% having failed the bac. This represented 38,150 young people in total. Among them 78% accepted a place in higher education and 22% chose an alternative, gap year abroad, choice of training outside the academy or discontinuation of studies.

Sources: academies of Rennes and Nantes

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.