Today in the press center of the city administration a round table was held on the procedure for treating stray animals in Omsk. It was attended by representatives of the city administration, state veterinary supervision, heads of the municipal animal shelter and shelter for dogs “Friend”.
As a reminder, in 2018, the 498th Federal Law “On Responsible Treatment of Animals” was adopted, which provides for the system “capture – sterilization – vaccination – release”.
– In 2019, our institution, which was then still called “Spetsavtokhozistvo”, began to prepare for work in new conditions, – recalled Deputy Director of the Department of Municipal Economy of the Omsk Administration Vladimir Shnipko. – During the year, we re-equipped the material and technical base, created new places for keeping animals, purchased medical equipment and medicines for vaccination and treatment of animals. In 2020, a municipal animal shelter was created on the basis of the Special Automobile Enterprise,
Today, the work of the shelter is organized as follows: the captured dog is kept in the quarantine block for 10 days, then it is sterilized, a tag is attached, and for another 10 days the animal is on outpatient treatment under the supervision of doctors. After that, the dog is released into its former habitat. All constituent entities of the Russian Federation operate according to this system.
– Earlier, before the entry into force of the 498th law, there was no procedure for treating stray animals, – said Denis Stepanov, Head of the State Veterinary Supervision Department of the Main Veterinary Directorate of the Omsk Region. – The animals were caught, kept for some time, then euthanized. At the moment, the killing of animals is prohibited, except in cases where the animal is terminally ill, suffers and, by the decision of the veterinarian, can be euthanized.
In connection with the new requirements of the law on the release of neutered dogs into their former habitat, the number of applications for the capture of stray dogs, including tagged ones, has significantly increased in recent months. If in February the municipal shelter received 260 applications from management companies and CTPS, then in March there were already 313.
– There are no more or less dogs on the streets, – notes the head of the shelter for dogs “Friend” Tatiana Dugina. – The program has just begun. But a certain number of new animals have not appeared on the streets of the city. Our doctors alone, under an agreement with the municipal shelter, sterilized about 2,000 dogs during the period of the law. Imagine how many animals would be added to the streets if each dog gave birth to at least two puppies?
Tatyana Dugina explained that people now simply began to notice stray animals more often.
– When a dog is without a tag, it is not noticed. This is a proven fact. In many cases, when a dog lived for three or four years, no one paid attention to it. As soon as they sterilized her, put a tag on her ear, they began to notice her, call the shelter, regret – why such a wonderful dog in the cold, in the rain, – said the head of the shelter “Friend”.
At the same time, domestic dogs are often caught, which the owners let out of the yard.
– A lot of dogs are caught with collars. It can be seen that the dog is domestic, but self-walking. After all, we are responsible for those we have tamed. This is your dog, it should live in your yard, why is it running down the street? – addresses Omsk residents director of the municipal animal shelter Evgeny Wolf.
During the year that the new requirements of the law came into effect, specialists had many proposals and additions to its provisions. In particular, about the methods of sterilization and clarification of the concept of “return to the previous habitat.” But there is no doubt that a law on the responsible treatment of animals is necessary.
– There will be no return to the previous method of irretrievable trapping, – I’m sure human rights activist Igor Pushkar. – We live in a new reality. Animals will be on the streets. Society has a request for humanity, it will not allow the destruction of animals. In addition, over 90 years, irrecoverable trapping has shown its inefficiency and cost. In no region of our country, the problem of stray animals has not been solved in this way.
He noted that it is necessary to learn to live in a situation when animals are on the street ourselves, and to teach this to children in the same way as parents teach a child to cross the road correctly.
Vladimir Shnipko added that the issue of increasing funding for the municipal shelter and the allocation of a one-time transfer in the amount of 10 million rubles to improve the material and technical base of the institution is currently being worked out with the government of the Omsk region. These measures are intended to relieve the tension that has arisen in the area of regulating the number of stray animals.
What not to do:
- There is no need to come close to the dogs’ bed – the animals will guard their territory. Better to get around this place.
- You cannot take puppies in your arms – the dog will protect the offspring.
- If a dog barks, it doesn’t mean that it will attack. Thus, she tries to scare the person away.
- No need to run away from the dog. Better to back away slowly. Do not wave a bag or a stone – the dog will perceive this as a threat.
- You can use pepper spray to protect against a pack of dogs. But to spray gas not in the eyes of the animal, but nearby. The dog will be uncomfortable and will move away.