The largest newspaper in Canada warned Meghan Markle and Prince Harry that they are not welcome to live there as an “intermediate house.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced last week that they plan to renounce the royal family and divide their time between Britain and North America in a movement that has sent shockwaves through the monarchy.
And with Harry probably flying back to be with his wife and son Archie on Vancouver Island before the end of the week, the Globe and Mail has punched them.
The scathing column, published on Monday, said Canada is not open to anyone “who wants to leave Britain while still being a member of royalty.”
While Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted during Christmas, the couple was “always welcome,” as they spent the holiday period in Vancouver, the newspaper said the government’s response should be “simple and succinct: no.”
The Globe and Mail went on to describe the Sussex plans to move as “lazy and evolving” and “not something Canada can allow.”
“But the unique monarchy of this country, and its delicate but essential place in our constitutional system, means that a real resident, the prince is the sixth in the line of succession, is not something that Canada can allow. It breaks a tacit constitutional taboo “. The article said.
And although the piece admitted to Canadians as their own monarchy, with visits that tend to “produce effusions of public enthusiasm,” royalty should not “establish a home on the premises.”
Instead, they prefer members of the Canadian firm to stay at a distance and “reign from a distance,” and add: “Close to our hearts, away from our homes.”
“The princes are not sent here when you cannot find useful tasks for them on the other side of the Atlantic,” he continued.
“Canada welcomes people of all religions, nationalities and races, but if you are an important member of our royal family, this country cannot become your home.”
There has been much debate about how the Sussex plan will work to become financially independent, particularly with regard to personal safety.
The editorial insisted that Canada’s problem with the measure was not “that the feds have to find a few million dollars extra” to accommodate the couple.
But that Canadians are divided on the real issue itself, but that reports that the government has offered to pay Meghan and Harry’s security at a cost of millions a year has angered many citizens.
The Duke and Duchess were forced to remove a line from their new website claiming they are “internationally protected persons” with the right to personal security wherever they go.
One of the key points of discussion at the Monday crisis summit in Sandringham was the Sussex annual security bill, which the taxpayer must pay.
Launched last Wednesday, the new official website of the duke and rebel duchess Sussexroyal.com contained the controversial phrases about his rights.
But this was eliminated within hours of its launch, reports Mail Online.
The new website also states that 95 percent of its annual funding comes from the Duchy of Cornwall, the private property of the Prince of Wales, estimated at around £ 2.3 million.
And with his intention to renounce the Sovereign Donation, it is understood that Prince Charles made it clear that he has no unlimited funds.
Harry and Meghan’s wedding, in addition to equipping Frogmore’s cabin, cost millions and it is not clear to what extent the Prince of Wales is willing to roll the couple.
It is likely that any future financing will impose firm rules in their commercial enterprises, and the couple is expected to seek to make millions abroad.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said there is still much to discuss about Sussex’s move to Canada.
Sussex’s desire to move has raised doubts about the couple’s security costs during their stay in North America and who would pay the bill.
When asked during an interview with Global News on Monday if Canadian taxpayers would have to pay, Trudeau said: “That is part of the reflection that should be had and there are ongoing discussions.”
“We are not completely sure what the final decisions will be, what the provisions are and those are decisions for them.”
“I think most Canadians are very much in favor of royalty being here, but what does that look like and what kind of costs are involved, there are still many discussions to have.”
He said the Canadian federal government had not been involved “until now” on what the couple’s transfer to the country will entail.
“There are still many decisions that the royal family, the Sussex themselves, must make in terms of the level of commitment they choose to have,” Trudeau said.
“Obviously we support their reflections, but we also have responsibilities in that.”
The Sussex enjoyed a “general feeling of appreciation” in Canada, he added.