MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte hinted on Thursday that he obtained the services of his former spokesman, lawyer Harry Roque, to handle the government’s case against water distributors in the Philippine capital.
Duterte made the comment by insisting that the government would ignore an order of the international court to pay Maynilad and Manila Water more than P10.8 billion as compensation for losses suffered by water concessionaires due to increases in Denied rates
“There is no payment screwed in your way. And so I began to examine the contract. And Harry is here, he will be one of the lawyers they would face, perhaps in court, ”Duterte said in a speech during the celebration of the 120th anniversary of the Baptist Churches in the Philippines.
However, Roque, who was sitting in the crowd, told ABS-CBN News that he has not yet received any offers and that he “had no idea” of what the president was saying.
The president previously threatened to file fraud charges against the owners of the 2 water companies because of the alleged burdensome provisions in the current contracts.
Manila Water is part of the Ayala group of companies, while Maynilad is jointly owned by DMCI Holdings Inc and Metro Pacific Investments Corp, led by businessman Manny Pangilinan.
Harry Roque, Rodrigo Duterte, Roque, Duterte, Maynilad, Manila Water, concession agreement, water distributors, water supply