MANILA, Philippines – The eruption of the Taal volcano on Sunday January 12 displaced thousands of residents of Batangas, dispersing them to evacuation centers in the provinces of Cavite, Laguna and even Quezon for an indefinite period of time.
Although Batangas is now in a state of calamity, there is an influx of humanitarian aid that reaches the different affected local government units in the province.
The problem, said Calabarzon spokesman for the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) Alex Masiglat, is the lack of coordination. This resulted in a surplus of aid in some evacuation centers and a shortage in others, Masiglat added.
To systematize the reception and distribution of aid, the Provincial Council for Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) and the Regional Council of DRRM Calabarzon organized the Eruption Donation Center of the Taal Volcano.
How does it work. Relief items can be left at the donation center, and local government officials are in charge of delivering them and ensuring that resources are distributed at all evacuation centers.
How to contact them: Donors can contact the following numbers to coordinate their relief products: 09283443055, 09153104230, 09428071853 and (043) 706-8870.
How to donate: The donation center is located in the Batangas Provincial Disaster Risk Management and Reduction Office (DRRM), Dalubhasaan Building, Provincial Sports Complex, Barangay Bolbok, Batangas City.
Encouraged donations include the following:
- Hygiene kits
- Bottled water
- Tents and shelter materials.
- Sleeping kits
- Medications (antihypertension, cough remedies, antihistamines, anti-vertigo)
- N95 masks
- Nebulizer kits
Meanwhile, cash donations can be deposited in the following accounts:
- Account in pesos: Provincial Government of Batangas, Account No. 0-05010-656-3, Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP), Branch of the city of Batangas
- Dollar Account: Batangas Provincial Government, Account No. 0304-000139, Land Bank of the Philippines, Batangas City Branch
The National DRRM Council (NDRRMC) is also open to coordinate donations through the following offices:
- OCD and NDRRM Operations Center – Karen Kaye Caballero, 09178275743
- Department of Social Welfare and Development – National Resource Operations Center – Charles Ronda, 09053427647 for in-kind donations; Elma Pille, 09152028009 for cash and foreign donations
Cash donations can also be deposited in the NDRRMC checking accounts with the DBP Camp Aguinaldo branch:
- Weight account: 000-00149-435-3
- Dollar Account: 01-5-00047-435-4
As the Taal Volcano continues on Level 4 Alert, resources must be available to all evacuees. – Rappler.com