FILE PHOTO: Traffic in and out of the base is restricted after a member of the Saudi Arabian Air Force visiting the United States for military training was suspected of a shooting at Pensacola Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida, USA UU., December 6, 2019. REUTERS / Michael Spooneybarger
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Pentagon announced Friday new restrictions on international military students’ access to weapons at US bases, as well as other measures, after a Saudi officer killed three US sailors at a Florida naval base on last month.
“Returning to work does not mean returning to business as usual. In the future, we will implement several new security policies and procedures, ”said Garry Reid, a senior Pentagon intelligence officer, in a statement.
Three American sailors were killed and eight others were injured in the attack at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. A sheriff’s assistant shot dead the gunman, the second lieutenant of the Saudi Arabian Air Force, Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani.
After the attack, the US army UU. He punished Saudi pilots and restricted the training of the 850 people who visited Saudi military personnel in the country for classroom training as part of a “safety deadlock” during which he reviewed the investigation procedures.
Reid said in a statement that all military departments could fully resume training when the new procedures were implemented.
Next week, Defense Secretary Mark Esper will visit the base in Pensacola, Florida, where the shooting took place and inform the base leadership about planned changes in investigation and security, says the Pentagon.
Report by Phil Stewart @phildstewart; Edition by Leslie Adler