Hispanic students are half as likely to earn a college degree as non-Hispanic white adults. The reasons behind this are quite complex, but often relate to financial needs.
Scholaroo, which is a nation-wide scholarship research tool, attempts to combat this problem by centralizing 35 of those scholarship pools targeted precisely at Hispanic students.
Scholarships are corporate or nonprofit awards that students can receive to help lower the cost of tuition, books, or housing while pursuing higher education.
These scholarships are not restricted to a certain major or gender, and are available to most Latino and Hispanic students.
This year alone, more than 500 prizes will be awarded with amounts ranging from $500 to $20,000. So if your son or daughter is close to finishing high school, check the possibilities that are offered.
The five most notable scholarship groups selected by Scholaroo include:
- The Coffee of the Future Scholarship.- Open to undergraduate and graduate students, and members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and University Institutions (HACU). Twenty-five winners will each receive $5,000.
- Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship.- Open to undergraduate and graduate students who are the first in their families to attend college. Participants must be members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and University Institutions (HACU). Five winners will each receive $2,500.
- Beca CCNMA.- Open to Hispanic students in California who are or will be pursuing a career in journalism. Ten winners will receive between $500 and $1,000.
- Beca First in Family Humanist: Freedom From Religion Foundation Forward Freethought Scholarship.- Open to college students who are the first in their families to go to college and who identify as agnostics, atheists, humanists, freethinkers, and/or secularists. Six winners will each receive $5,000.
- United Talent Agency Entertainment Scholarship.- Open to junior and senior Hispanic college students, members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and University Institutions (HACU) who are eager to pursue a career within the business side of the entertainment industry. Two winners will receive $2,500 each.
All scholarships for Hispanics are available on the website: https://scholaroo.com/scholarships-for-hispanic-students/