Lebanon Reconstruction: PM Pledges Support for South Villages

by Archynetys News Desk

afp_tickers

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam pledged on Saturday to begin rebuilding destroyed villages in southern Lebanon during a tour he conducted in the border area with Israel, his first since the Lebanese army announced the completion of Hezbollah’s disarmament there.

Large areas of southern Lebanon are still completely destroyed, and its residents are unable to return to them and the authorities are unable to rebuild them, more than a year after the ceasefire agreement that ended a devastating war between Hezbollah and Israel in November 2024.

As part of his tour, Salam visited the town of Tayr Harfa, which is three kilometers from the border with Israel, and said from there that “these towns were subjected to a real catastrophe.”

Salam pledged that the authorities would begin projects to rehabilitate roads, communications, and water networks in two border towns.

Residents gathered around the rubble of buildings and homes to greet Salam with other officials in the town of Dhahira, some of whom carried Lebanese flags.

Salam announced from the city of Bint Jbeil during a press conference, accompanied by local officials and representatives from Hezbollah and its ally, the Amal Movement, that the authorities had secured, as a first stage, sufficient amounts “to rehabilitate 32 kilometers of roads, connect the broken communications network, and restore the water infrastructure” and the electricity network in the region.

Last year, the World Bank approved a loan worth $250 million to support post-war reconstruction in Lebanon, while estimating the cost of reconstruction in the country at about $11 billion.

Salam said that some rehabilitation projects will be financed by a World Bank loan.

The Lebanese Army announced in early January the completion of the first phase of the plan to disarm Hezbollah’s arsenal, which was approved by the government to confine weapons to the state.

The Lebanese Army confirmed that it had completed “extending operational control over the lands that came under its authority in the southern Litani sector (about 30 kilometers from the Israeli border), with the exception of lands and sites that are still under Israeli occupation.”

However, Israel questioned this step and considered it insufficient. Since the Lebanese army announced the completion of disarmament south of the Litani, the Hebrew state has launched several strikes on areas, mostly north of the river.

Lebanon accuses Israel of seeking to prevent reconstruction in the devastated areas in the south, especially with its continuous bombing of vehicles used in construction.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot pointed out from Lebanon on Friday that “the basic condition for the flow of international financing is to reform the banking system,” praising the government’s “courage” and efforts in this regard.

On Saturday, Barrow met with Lebanese Army Commander Rudolf Haykal, where they discussed “the necessary requirements to enhance the army’s capabilities,” according to an army statement.

str-lg/lu/pk

Related Posts

Leave a Comment