Jules Thomas, the former partner of Ian Bailey, a suspect in the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, has been given an honorable mention when a major documentary series tried to portray her as an accomplice in an unsolved murder. I plan to make a claim in a lawsuit for damages.
The Welsh-born artist filed a lawsuit against Netflix, director John Dower and production company Lightbox Media over what was widely viewed on Monday. Sophie: Murders in West Cork documentary.
Breaking her silence about the lawsuit, she said ireland independence: “They were trying to frame me as an accomplice to a murder.
“People have seen it all over the world, not just Ireland. It’s just painting my picture in the completely wrong light.”
Thomas, 73, is set to seek damages for damaging her reputation, claiming her work as an artist has dried up in the aftermath of a show that was streamed last year.
She also claims that unauthorized filming took place at her home near Shur, Co. Cork, and also wants parts of the documentary removed.
This is related to an Italian woman’s claim that she saw Bailey’s jacket soaking in a large bucket in the shower at Thomas’ home.
Thomas said the allegations were “completely untrue.”
“The whole thing is so damaged. I’m sick of it. I want it to stop, so please don’t lie any more,” she said.
The makers of the series, which was released last June, were asked to comment on her allegations.
Ms Thomas plans to apply to the High Court next Monday for permission to take the proceedings, as all of the proposed defendants are outside the country.
She should also apply for a 12-month extension of the deadline for filing a defamation claim. This she may extend for up to two years if the court finds it fit for justice.
speak to ireland independenceThomas said the aftermath of the murder of Toscan du Plantier has occupied most of her adult life and hopes the lawsuit will help “cover it up.”
Ms Thomas reiterated her belief that Ms Bailey, 65, was innocent. The former couple split in April 2021 after nearly 30 years together.
In December 1996, French filmmaker Toscan du Plantier, 39, was beaten to death outside his villa in Tourmore, near Sur.
Gardai became suspicious of Mr. Bailey, a British-born journalist who had reported on the hunt for the killer in several newspapers.
He and Thomas were arrested twice but released without charge.
The DPP report, which scathingly criticized Garda’s investigation, ruled out charges against Bailey on the basis of insufficient evidence.
However, Bailey was found guilty of murder by a French court after being tried in absentia in 2019.
The High Court then refused his extradition to France.
Thomas was not interviewed for the Netflix documentary series.
Most of her lawsuit relates to an interview filmed with Arianna Boarina, an Italian friend of Thomas’ daughter Jennifer, who came to stay at the artist’s home over the Christmas period of 1996.
In a chilling scene littered with dingy bathroom mockups, Boarina said: There was a large bucket in the shower. A black coat soaked into it. heavy material. I believed it was Ian’s coat.
“I think that’s unusual. You’re washing something big and hard to dry in the middle of winter.
“It was important and I distinctly remember it being an anomaly.”
Thomas disputes this explanation. “There wasn’t a bucketful of stuff in the bath,” she said.
Bailey claimed earlier this year that he was “coerced” into interviewing Ms. Boarina when she was “emotionally vulnerable.”
Ms Boarina’s testimony in the documentary series differs from the statement she gave to Gardaí in 1999.
In a statement she said:
“These were dark clothes, but I don’t know what kind they were, except they were dark.”
The statement did not mention who the coat or the clothing belonged to.
of ireland independence I tried to talk to Boarina by phone and email, but there was no response.
Neither Dower nor Lightbox responded to requests for comment.
However, earlier this year, the director said, “It is absolutely and completely untrue that she was forced to do an interview.”
Dower claimed Boarina was happy to do the interview, saying she wanted to come forward years ago.
Ms. Thomas is also upset with how her home is portrayed in the Netflix series.
“They made up a photo of the bathroom and kitchen and made it a stinking messy, really filthy shabby hut. rice field.
The artist claims filming took place on her property without her consent while she was working in the studio.
She claimed the drone flew over her home, which she described as “really invasive.”
It is unknown who was flying the drone. Thomas suffered financially after the work was released.
“People don’t want to get close to someone who has something to do with murder, so I lost a lot of income because of it.
“Before, more people would come to me for all sorts of things, like paintings and heritage work. [after the docuseries].
“I used to go to galleries for a few years and they were taking my work and it was selling, and suddenly, no, they stopped taking my work.
“This is a funny old fashioned business selling art. It’s volatile. But I know people love my work.”
“And a lot of people were buying it. I wasn’t too expensive.
“There will always be people who are sympathetic and believe in you, but in front of the general public, I am looked at in a funny way. It just makes me uncomfortable.”
Thomas said he fears people who have seen the documentary will think, “I was just covering for Ian, and I was a silly little yes woman.”
“But I never lied. I know Ian has nothing to do with it,” she said.
“He couldn’t handle it. He couldn’t hide it emotionally. He can’t hide his feelings. I think of him like a book.” I could read.
“If he had done that, I would have known. He was a mess. I would have seen blood. I would have seen all kinds of things.”
Thomas said he ended their relationship last year because he wanted to move on with his life.
“Living with that tension was awful, really, really awful,” she said.
“He never stopped talking about it. The whole incident. This may be the last night. I told him last night not to talk about it. It’s got me 10 times a night It just wakes you up. But he never quit. He was like a cracked record.”
And although she believes him to be innocent, they no longer talk. No. Somewhere around Bantry I think.We haven’t been in touch with each other at all,” she said.
The Thomas lawsuit is the second lawsuit filed in connection with this documentary. Jennifer Ford and Sam Bungie, producers of the acclaimed podcast “West Cork,” have also filed lawsuits against Netflix, Mr. Dower, and Lightbox.
Details of the incident have not yet been released.
Sophie: Murders in West Cork It’s one of two documentary series that brought international attention to an unsolved murder last year.Academy Award-nominated director Jim Sheridan also released Murder in the Cottage: Finding Justice for Sophie.