Published
•Last update
ADVERTISING
Israel and Hamas prepared on Monday for possible negotiations in Egypt, while Hopes continue to grow on a possible fire After the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, indicated that this week an agreement for the release of hostages could be announced.
The Israeli delegation, headed by the main negotiator Ron Dermer, will leave on Monday towards the conversations in Sharm el-Sheikh, according to the Netanyahu office. An Egyptian official said the Hamas delegation had already arrived. The official, who spoke with Associated Press based on anonymity because he was not authorized to inform journalists, said the special American envoy Steve Witkoff It will also join To conversations.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry declared that The conversations will focus on the proposal to exchange all the remaining hostages by thousands of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli prisons. The US Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, greeted the measure, describing it as “as close as we have been liberation from all hostages.”
On Tuesday there are two years of Hamas attacks on October 7 against southern Israel, in which 1,139 people diedmostly civilians, and 250 hostages were taken. The attacks triggered a fierce Israeli response, which since October 8, 2023 records daily military activity in Gaza.
The Israeli offensive on the enclave has so far charged the lives of more than 67,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza Ministry of Health, directed by Hamas, whose figures do not distinguish between civil and combatant victims. However, the UN has previously stated that more than Two thirds of the deaths that have been able to verify independently were women and children.
So far, about 48 hostages remain captive Hamas in Gaza, and it is believed that about 20 of them are still alive. On Friday, the group said he was willing to immediately release all hostages, according to the peace plan of US President Donald Trump, but pointed out that other terms require “more consultations.”
Donald Trump’s 21 -points peace plan for Gaza, presented last week at the Oval Office next to Netanyahustipulated numerous reforms to end the onslaught against the besieged territory, among which the liberation of hostages and the dissolution and disarmament of Hamas.
The plan, Trump explained, would also seek The appointment of a provisional government of supervision in Gaza, directed by himself and by former British prime minister Tony Blair.
Trump also pointed out that Hamas members who wish to disarm and move on They would be allowed to remain in Gaza And they would be granted an amnesty, while others who oppose would be given a safe -conduct to get out of the territory to other countries.
Speaking to ‘Euronews’ on Sunday, Netanyahu criticized the partial acceptance of the Trump plan by the group based on Gaza, stressing that Hamas must accept all terms Without delay for peace to materialize.
However, Trump adopted a different approach, and his administration considered Hamas’s Friday statement Like a victory. In a post on its own social media platform – Truth Social – Trump responded positively to the group’s announcement.
“Based on the statement that Hamas has just issued, I think they are prepared for lasting peace“Trump wrote.” Israel must immediately stop the bombing of Gaza, so that we can take the hostages safely and quickly! “
Additional sources • AP
