Women who have more sex are less likely to have early menopause

A recent study found that women who have more sex have a reduced risk of experiencing early menopause. The new finding raises the possibility of lifestyle practices as a predictor of when menopause will occur.

A team of researchers from University College London found that having less sex makes early menopause more likely. According to the study published in the journal, women who participate in sexual activities weekly or monthly may show a lower risk of having early menopause compared to those who report having had sexual intercourse less than monthly. Royal Society Open Science.

Image credit: NATNN / Shutterstock

Women who reported having sex at least once a week had a 28 percent lower risk of having early menopause than those who had sexual activity, which included sexual contact, oral sex, self-stimulation or sexual intercourse, less than once a month.

“The findings of our study suggest that if a woman is not having sex and there is no possibility of pregnancy, then the body” chooses “not to invest in ovulation, as it would be useless. There may be a biological energy trade. Between investing energy in ovulation and investing elsewhere, such as staying active taking care of grandchildren, “said Megan Arnot of UCL Anthropology and the first author of the study.

“The idea that women cease fertility to spend more time in their family is known as the grandmother’s hypothesis, which predicts that menopause originally evolved in humans to reduce reproductive conflict between different generations of women and allow women increase their inclusive physical condition through investment in their grandchildren, “he added.

Results of the study

The study was based on data collected from 2,936 women who enrolled in a US menopause study. UU., Called SWAN cohort in the 1990s. The study involved women who were 45 years old at the beginning of the study and most were married or in a relationship.

None of the women had entered menopause at the start of the study. However, about 46 percent began to experience the transition to menopause when the study began, reporting symptoms of menstrual changes and hot flashes. The other 54 percent were in the premenopausal stage, showed no symptoms of menopause and had regular cycles.

The women were asked questions about their sexual activity, including if they had sex with their partner, how often they had sex and other sexual activities, and if they had self-stimulation in the last six months.

In the study, the majority of respondents (64 percent) reported weekly sexual activity. During the 10-year study period, 45 percent (1,324) of the women had natural menopause at the age of 52.

What is menopause?

Menopause marks the end of a woman’s reproductive age. The end of the menstrual cycle begins. The diagnosis occurs after a woman reports that she did not have a menstrual period for 12 months and normally occurs in her 50 years. However, some women have it before age 40.

Along the way, women experience menopausal symptoms that can be irritating and uncomfortable. These include vaginal dryness, irregular periods before stopping permanently, hot flashes, night sweats, chills, sleep problems, thinning hair, weight gain, dry skin, slow metabolism, mood swings and loss of breast fullness.

After menopause, women may have an increased risk of medical conditions due to decreased estrogen levels. On the one hand, a menopausal woman is more likely to have cardiovascular disease such as heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke.

Osteoporosis is also more likely in menopausal women, which means having weak and brittle bones. The condition increases the risk of having bone fractures. Other conditions include decreased libido, decreased sexual function and urinary incontinence.

Journal reference:

Arnot Megan and Mace Ruth Sexual frequency is associated with the age of natural menopause: results of the Women’s Health Study across the country 7R. Soc. Open sci. http://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.191020

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *