The mother begged the hospital staff not to discharge her baby with an alleged ‘cold’ just a few hours before she died of meningitis and sepsis, according to the investigation
- Muna Aburizeq said he told doctors that his son “was not well” after the lips were blue
- Baby Mohammed Aldmour’s condition worsened that night: he was readmitted
- An autopsy discovered that Mohammad had the ‘meningitis rash’ even in his organs
A devastated mother begged hospital staff not to discharge her baby, hours before she died of meningitis and sepsis, it was reported.
Muna Aburizeq of Manchester was advised to call an ambulance after telling a call manager that Mohammed Aldmour’s three-month temperature had skyrocketed and his lips had turned blue.
When the mother and son arrived at Tameside Hospital, Ms. Aburizeq was told that her baby had a cold and that she was discharged even though she begged medical professionals not to send him home, telling them that her son “was not well”.
After arriving home, Mohammed’s condition continued to worsen and Ms. Aburizeq took him back to the hospital that night.
He died of meningitis and sepsis a short time later.
Mohammed Aldmour, who died of meningitis and sepsis.
During the first day of a week-long investigation into Mohammad’s death, the coroner’s court in southern Manchester heard that Mohammed felt bad on September 10, 2018.
He had vomited and had a temperature of more than 38 degrees.
After Ms. Aburizeq called an ambulance, Mohammed was evaluated by a pediatric nurse in the A&E children’s area at Tameside Hospital.
To begin with, Mohammed seemed alert, receptive and interacting with his mother.
But when the nurse took her vital signs, she discovered that her temperature had risen to 39 degrees and her heart rate was considerably faster than it should have been.
Mohammed was evaluated by a pediatric nurse in the A&E children’s area at Tameside Hospital, but was later sent home after a doctor said “he has a cold”
Then he was taken to resuscitation.
Hospital policy states that a sepsis risk warning label should have been placed on Mohammad’s notes.
The corner court heard how the nurse said she had not done this, because she had immediately escalated her case where she expected a pediatrician to assist Mohammed in resuscitation within a two to ten minute window.
Ms. Aburizeq told the coroner court in southern Manchester: ‘We entered a cubicle. He was suffering. He was crying.
‘A lady in front of me said’ What the hell is wrong with that baby? ‘I said’ I don’t know, I’m trying my best to calm him down. ‘
‘A doctor came to me and said’ he has a cold ‘. He was worried about his lungs because he was not breathing correctly. You can’t argue with a doctor, you just trust doctors.
He said he just had a virus, a cold virus.
‘A nurse came in, said Mohammad was fine, we’re going to discharge him.
‘I’m a normal mother, probably a little anxious, but it’s not just me. I just want justice. He had a lot of pain.
The investigation heard that Mohammad had already received his first meningitis B vaccine when he was eight weeks old. He would have had a second prick when he was 16 weeks old, but he was only three months old when he contracted meningitis.
An autopsy discovered that Mohammad had the “meningitis rash” on the entire face, chest, abdomen and back, as well as some of his limbs. It was also discovered that his organs were covered by the rash.
The investigation, conducted in front of a jury, continues.
What is meningitis B?
Meningococcal group B bacteria is a serious cause of life-threatening infections, including meningitis and blood poisoning, worldwide and the leading infectious killer of infants and young children in the United Kingdom.
There are 12 known groups of meningococcal bacteria, and group B (MenB) is responsible for approximately 90% of meningococcal infections in the United Kingdom.
Meningitis and septicemia caused by group B meningococcal bacteria can affect people of any age, but it is more common in infants and young children.
In the last 20 years, between 500 and 1,700 people each year, mainly babies and young children, have suffered from MenB disease, and about 1 in 10 died from the infection.
Many of those who survive suffer permanent disability, such as amputation, brain damage and epilepsy.