F1 driver market: Oscar Piastri and Alpine debacle explained and what it means for the 2023 grid

F1’s driver market plunges into major drama following Oscar Piastri’s insane Alpine snub, leaving the French team in limbo and many questions about what’s next for 2023 I’m here.

Now that the ‘stupid season’ has truly arrived, let’s explain Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso’s bombshells, shock rejections and how McLaren and Daniel Ricciardo are in the middle of it all…

F1 2023: Who will drive where next season?

It had long been known that all three of the top teams had their lineups filled for 2023, but the Hungarian Grand Prix’s heavy news weekend provided more confirmation of next season’s grid.

The retirement of Sebastian Vettel opened up a space for Aston Martin that was quickly and surprisingly filled by another multiple world champion named Fernando Alonso.

F1 contracts: who’s driving where in 2023?

red bull Max Verstappen Sergio Perez
Ferrari Charles Leclerc Carlos Sainz
mercedes Lewis Hamilton George Russell
alpine Stephen Ocon to be decided
mclaren Land Norris Daniel Ricardo*
alfa romeo Valtteri Bottas to be decided
Hearth Kevin Magnussen to be decided
aston martin Fernando Alonso Lance Stroll
Alpha Tauri Pierre Guthrie to be decided
Williams Alex Albon to be decided

This freed up space for Alpine, and in announcing the promotion of Oscar Piastri, they thought they had a quick solution of their own.

In addition to Circus (discussed below), a spot could also be open for McLaren, who are adamant that Daniel Ricciardo has a full contract for 2023, but the team’s Management has hinted that there are options. table above.

At least on paper, Alpine is F1’s most available seat, and Williams’ opening looks next achievable.

Piastri’s shocking rebuttal adds a twist to the driver market

Paul Di Resta is surprised Oscar Piastri's refusal of a seat at Alpine next season, and the young Australian believes another seat is lined up for 2022.

Use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Paul Di Resta is surprised Oscar Piastri’s refusal of a seat at Alpine next season, and the young Australian believes another seat is lined up for 2022.

Paul Di Resta is surprised Oscar Piastri’s refusal of a seat at Alpine next season, and the young Australian believes another seat is lined up for 2022.

Alonso’s move from Alpine to Aston Martin is a shock move to Aston Martin, who are currently fifth in the championship and trailing by 79 points, with the Silverstone team signing the 41-year-old Aston Martin to a multi-year deal. Desirable.

See also  The Uruguayan who won the Copa América as much as Chile, Paraguay and Peru together

It certainly came as a surprise to Alpine, but it also seemed to solve one of their problems. The Renault-owned team are already sweating over the future of reserve driver and reigning F2 champion Piastri, and are trying to find him a seat elsewhere, following the difficulties learned last year when he tried and failed. seemed to be

Alonso’s exit opened up a competitive seat and Alpine had a very competitive driver in-house waiting. Simple, isn’t it?

Piastri has been regarded as one of the most talented youngsters in motorsport. Piastri said that from 2019 he won his third consecutive single-seater championship, but back-to-back Formula 3 and Formula 2 titles were achieved by Charles Leclerc and George Russell. But while Leclerc and Russell secured F1 seats soon after their victory, Piastri had to settle down as Alpine’s reserve driver for 2022.

Raised eyebrows for many reasons, Alpine announced Piastri on Tuesday afternoon. First, the news comes just hours after team principal Otmar Szafnauer said no deal had been reached. The press release also came out at midnight in Australia – not optimal for traction and home support – although the word ‘signed’ was not actually used, rather ‘promoted’. Most strangely and suspiciously, it did not contain a quote from Piastri himself.

I didn’t have to wait long to get a response from Piastri. It was not what Alpine expected.

“I understand that without my consent Alpine F1 issued a press release late this afternoon stating that I will be driving for them next year,” Piastri said on social media.

“This is wrong. I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year.”

Why did Piastri neglect Alpine and what is the current situation?

So why has Piastri turned his back on the team that has funded his junior career for the past four years? should be

Awaiting further clarification from Piastri, his first comments and his insistence not to drive in the Alpine in particular are what he believes will have seats lined up elsewhere in 2023. is clarifying

However, Alpine believes they are also on a solid contract base, and Piastri has an obligation to drive for them.

The driver market is in a precarious state and the summer break means there will be no reaction from teams and drivers for some time.

If Piastri agrees to a deal with another team, a settlement could be involved, and if Alpine digs its heels, F1’s contract approval committee, made up of independent lawyers, will be on the matter to resolve the dispute. may become.

Can he join McLaren? What does this mean for Ricardo?

As mentioned above, it’s clear that Piastri is either eyeing, or has already secured, another F1 seat.

Interestingly, all signs point to McLaren, Alpine’s main midfield rival.

why?

Well, only McLaren seats (apparently) Something achievable on a grid that could be considered an attractive option like Alpine, and it’s very strange that Piastri would turn his back on his own team and go one further down.

Piastri is also known to have had conversations with McLaren’s management in recent weeks.

Daniel Ricciardo says it

Use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Daniel Ricciardo says it “felt right” to issue a statement confirming that he wanted to continue his contract with McLaren.

Daniel Ricciardo says it “felt right” to issue a statement confirming that he wanted to continue his contract with McLaren.

Of course, this raises big questions about Ricciardo’s future.

Rumors have been around for a while about a second McLaren seat next to Lando Norris, but Ricciardo, who has been under pressure this year, tried to quash that story last month, claiming he would never leave F1. did. His contract with McLaren runs until the end of 2023.

McLaren has hinted that there are ‘options’ in the deal for Ricciardo, but it is understood that it is the Australian who has the exit clause.

See also  Rugby Hemisphere Battle: South Can Flip the Move in July Checks | Rugby Union

If McLaren is eyeing Piastri to fill the seat, Ricciardo may be looking to leave himself – and in that scenario, a sensational return to the Renault family could be in the cards.

Ricciardo left Renault two years ago for McLaren, but Alpine has suggested a return is possible. Ricciardo shone with the Enstone team as Ocon’s teammate before retiring in 2021.

Clearly, there is still much to be worked out in this unexpected F1 saga, and much more to be said. This is quite an incredible event, especially for a driver who has never turned the wheel in the sport.

What about the other spots available on the ’23 grid?

There are also many unknowns about other spots on the F1 grid.

and alfa romeo, Valtteri Bottas has a long-term contract, but Zhou Guan Yu does not. At this stage, it’s far from certain, but the Chinese rookie is leaning towards getting another shot next year.

Similarly, one would expect Mick Schumacher to secure a seat alongside Kevin Magnussen in the Ferrari Powered. Hearth.

Alex Albon revisits some of his most memorable Instagram posts, including a cycling trip with George Russell that ended with a broken collarbone!

Use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Alex Albon revisits some of his most memorable Instagram posts, including a cycling trip with George Russell that ended with a broken collarbone!

Alex Albon revisits some of his most memorable Instagram posts, including a cycling trip with George Russell that ended with a broken collarbone!

Yuki Tsunoda has yet to sign a contract to partner again with Pierre Gasly. Alpha Tauri next year. While Red Bull has been keen to give other youngsters a chance in the past, Tsunoda has been more competitive this season and currently has no obvious competitors from the junior ranks.

of Williams It looks like the seat next to Alex Albon will be available soon. As early as Williams prepared the announcement at 3 p.m. Wednesday, there was talk of confirmation, but ultimately it was Albon’s new deal.

Still, a driver deal may not be too far off. Grove his team is expected to move from Nicolas Latifi.

Mercedes reserve driver and reigning Formula E champion Nick de Vries is the front-runner, but he won’t keep Williams out of the Piastri race if contract disputes become too much trouble.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.