On Monday, the creator and star of “Insecure” went viral for delivering a subtle comment that criticized the male nominations for best director.
After reading the nominees: Martin Scorsese (“The Irish”), Todd Phillips (“Joker”), Sam Mendes (“1917”), Quentin Tarantino (“Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood”) and Bong Joon Ho (“Parasite”) – Rae looked at the camera and said: “Congratulations to those men.”
“They told us, Jon Cho and I, to just joke for five seconds while the teleprompter was charging,” he explained on Wednesday at the press tour of the Television Critics Association in Pasadena. “So those were my jokes. I didn’t lie. I said congratulations and there were men there. So, that’s it.”
Those who saw the presentation took note of the moment and praised Rae for his quick wit.
Many eyes had been in the category, with special attention to whether the director of “Little Women”, Greta Gerwig, or any of the other notable female directors of this year could obtain a nomination in the category historically dominated by men.
“I just think it’s unfortunate,” Rae added. “The Academy needs to do better.”
However, he admitted, “I’m a little tired of having the same conversation.”
“I think every year is something. So, for me, it’s just pointing it out when I see it. But I just don’t want to worry too much about it. It’s what it is at the moment,” he said. said. “It’s only the conversation that is happening behind the scenes that interests me most. So, yes, I don’t want to say much more about it. It’s annoying.”
Rae joined the executive producer of “Insecure” Prentice Penny and cast members Yvonne Orji and Jay Ellis on stage.
The group was present to promote the next fourth season of “Insecure”. It opens on April 12 on HBO. (The network, like CNN, is owned by WarnerMedia).