There has been new talk of "redemption" in Hollywood – specifically for James Gunn, the 52-year-old director who was cut by Disney last year from the third installation of the protectors of the universe franchise after "offensive" old tweets from its resurfaced. Mike Fleming from Deadline says he has been told that Disney has changed his mind and has restored Gunn as a writer and director of the film, news that he has also confirmed with the team of Gunn and Marvel Comics. The President of Walt Disney Studios, Alan Horn, had apparently met with Gunn several times in recent months and was convinced that Gunn was sorry for his actions – he had offered a public apology for the "almost insensitive," ten-year-old tweets about rape, 9/11 and pedophilia, and other topics – and treated the situation well after the tweets bubbled back by digging through right-wing journalists.
Fleming notes that it probably helped Gunn that he fell & # 39; early and often fell on his sword and never threw at Disney & # 39 ;. The AP also confirmed (with the people from Gunn and Disney) the news about the relocation, while Vox reports on Gunn's own Friday chatter on the issue in which he said "I greatly appreciate Disney's decision" and "will continue to work to be the best person I can be". The Hollywood Reporter notes that insiders say Marvel and Disney had never looked for another director, instead & # 39; in secret & # 39; worked to get Gunn back in the movie. It is not yet clear when Guardians will go into production, while Gunn signed up to write and direct DC Comics Suicide Squad film, which starts photographing in the fall and has a release date of August 2021. (Read more James Gunn stories.)