Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Eight US servicemen declared dead after shipwreck

Must read

Corona news: number of vacancies is picking up again, fifteen people in hospitals in Brabant

In this live blog we will keep you informed on Wednesday with the most important news about the corona crisis.The Breda fairs in Ginneken...

Elche finally enters phase 1 | Radio Elche

The second is due, at least this time. Finally it is confirmed that the Valencian Community completely, the 24 departments, have passed to...

Carolina Hurricanes buy the play-off ticket

In the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, the Carolina Hurricanes became the first team in the Stanley Cup qualifying round to advance to the...

Transfers: Bayern loan Christian Früchtl to Nuremberg – football – transfers

Trained by Bayern Munich, guardian of the German U20s, Christian Früchtl will temporarily leave the Bavarian giant. This promising player will be...

After several days of search, the US military announced on Sunday the end of the rescue operations.

They are now considered dead: the US military announced on Sunday the end of search operations for eight US soldiers, who disappeared at sea in a shipwreck Thursday off the coast of California.

“It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to end the search and rescue operations,” Colonel Christopher Bronzi, commander of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said in a statement.

The servicemen, seven Marine Corps members and a US Navy sailor, were in an amphibious assault vehicle, AAV said, which sank Thursday at 5:45 p.m. near San Clemente Island at a 100 miles off San Diego, Southern California, during a routine exercise.

Summer offer : Take advantage of the 2-month special offer for € 1

I subscribe

40 hours of unsuccessful research

The soldiers were dressed in combat gear and equipped with life jackets, but the AAV, a sort of large floating tank, weighed more than 26 tons and sank quickly to more than 300 meters below. A total of 16 soldiers were in the vehicle. Eight had been rescued. One of them later died, and two are in critical condition.

READ ALSO >> A thousand American soldiers and a command will be deployed in Poland

The Marine Corps, US Navy and US Coast Guard searched more than 2,500 square kilometers using helicopters and ships to locate the others, but gave up after 40 unsuccessful hours.


An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the accident and while waiting to learn more, all operations aboard the AAVs have been suspended, General David Berger, commander of the Marine Corps, said on Thursday.

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest article

Corona news: number of vacancies is picking up again, fifteen people in hospitals in Brabant

In this live blog we will keep you informed on Wednesday with the most important news about the corona crisis.The Breda fairs in Ginneken...

Elche finally enters phase 1 | Radio Elche

The second is due, at least this time. Finally it is confirmed that the Valencian Community completely, the 24 departments, have passed to...

Carolina Hurricanes buy the play-off ticket

In the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, the Carolina Hurricanes became the first team in the Stanley Cup qualifying round to advance to the...

Transfers: Bayern loan Christian Früchtl to Nuremberg – football – transfers

Trained by Bayern Munich, guardian of the German U20s, Christian Früchtl will temporarily leave the Bavarian giant. This promising player will be...

new step soon taken at the Assembly

Last straight line for the re-examination of the bioethics bill by the Assembly: after divisions within the majority and sometimes complicated votes, the deputies...