ARTICLE UPDATED JUNE 14, 2020 AT 10:30 PM
Donald Trump ready to reopen the border for Europeans …
- Donald Trump is changing your attitude towards Europe! On March 13, 2020, the US President blocked access to European tourists on March 13, 2020 to contain the coronavirus and then extended the ban until further notice. At a press conference on May 27, 2020, Donald Trump announced that the reopening is in sight for European tourists.
- “We are going to make a number of announcements on different countries, including Europe,” said the American President. “Where there is progress, we will start to reopen, but only if they make progress,” added Donald Trump. However, no date has been communicated regarding the next announcements.
- Here below, in video, the announcement of Donald Trump, relayed by the British daily The Telegraph.
… but European governments remain cautious
- If Donald Trump wants to be optimistic, the European governments are being much more cautious. French Prime Minister Édouard Philippe announced on May 28, 2020, the transition to phase 2 of deconfinement. If many restrictions are lifted, the external borders of the European Union will remain closed until June 15, 2020.
- On May 5, 2020, French President Emmanuel Macron had indicated that he should not plan to travel outside Europe this summer. A management resumed on May 24, 2020 on France Inter by Elisabeth Borne, Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition. ” We told the French very clearly that today, you have to organize your holidays in France, ”she declared,“ We absolutely do not invite the French to consider holidays abroad.“. “So this year, it will be the idea of spending his holidays in France,” hammered the minister.
- Here below is Elisabeth Borne’s statement at the microphone of France Inter, le 24 mai 2020:
@elisabeth_borne : “We told the French very clearly that today, you have to organize your holidays in France. The French are not invited to consider vacations abroad. ” #QuestionsPol pic.twitter.com/vfSA1J8HhR
– France Inter (@franceinter) May 24, 2020
- Twist on June 14, 2020: in a new televised address, President Emmanuel Macron announced that European borders will reopen to nationals of countries outside the European Union as of July 1, 2020, adding that everything will depend on the health situation in the countries concerned. But not a word about the United States.
- However, the evolution of the coronavirus in the United States is still worrying: the country has passed the milestone of 100,000 deaths and the epidemic is progressing in many states, especially in Florida. Donald Trump can reopen the border: not sure that European governments will let their citizens cross the Atlantic …
Stay informed by subscribing to our newsletter
As a specialist in New York since 1999, we are obviously following the situation very closely, relying only on official sources, as you can see in the article above. To be informed of the reopening of the American border and tourist news in New York, subscribe to our newsletter. It’s free ! Enter your e-mail address below and click on “I subscribe”: