Charlie Sheen says he still hasnât spoken to his former Two and a Half Men co-star Jon Cryer amid rumors the show could return in some form.
Earlier this week, the 60-year-old actor issued a plea to reconnect with Cryer so he could make amends.
Cryer appears in the new Netflix documentary, aka Charlie Sheenbut the two men did not speak personally during production.
Sheen speculated in a new interview with Entertainment Tonight about whether the hit sitcom could be rebooted, saying: âI still owe Johnny a phone callâĻ I don’t know that that show would ever come back or would ever have a chance at ending properly, but if it did it would be, I would do it more for the fans than for myself, just to put a proper bookend on it.â
The pair co-starred in Two and a Half Men from 2003 to 2011 before Sheen was infamously fired after exhibiting erratic behavior and making disparaging remarks about the showâs creator, Chuck Lorre.
At the premiere of the new documentary, Sheen said: âThe only person I didnât call personally to participate in the doc was Jon.â
âAnd the only reason I didnât call him was because I didnât have the right number for him, so the director reached out to him. But when I saw everything that Jon spoke about, so honestly and very compassionately, I wrote to him and I said, âHey, thank you for your contributions, and Iâm sorry we didn’t connect personally. I hope to see you around the campus.ââ
Sheen said at the time that he hadnât heard back from Cryer but believed it was because he doesnât have the actorâs latest contact information.
âIâm thinking I wrote to the wrong number. Itâs not like Jon did not respond. Heâs super responsible like that. So if youâre reading this, Jon, DM me your new number!â
After his 2011 dismissal, Sheen was replaced by Ashton Kutcher, who co-led the show for three more seasons.
âIt was really cool to hear from his perspective,â Sheen said of Cryerâs comments in the documentary. âHe was in the line of fire with all that stupid s*** going on, and it was affecting him and his family and his career and all that. I canât debate anything that he said.â
Sheen was also surprised to hear Cryerâs take on his struggles with addiction and where they stemmed from.
âHe said, âHeâs a guy that doesn’t believe he deserves the things he has, or that it was he earned,â and I was like, âWhoa,ââ said Sheen. âHe nailed that, and Iâm so glad he opened that door, because it gave me a chance to really start thinking about that.â
He continued: âSuddenly, I felt like I was on a couch in Jonâs therapy office, and he was dead on.
âThat was really insightful of Jon, really, and compassionate,â he added.
Last year, Cryer addressed the possibility of a Two and a Half Men reboot. âOh gosh, I donât know how that happens,â he said on The View.
âThing is, Charlie is doing a lot better now, which is wonderful. He and I have not spoken in a few years, but heâs doing a lot better, which obviously I am happy about,â he said.
âThe thing for me is, when Two and a Half Men was happening, Charlie was like the highest-paid actor in television â probably ever. And there has been nobody that has surpassed the enormous amount of money he was making.
âAnd yet he blew it up. So you kinda have to think, I love him, I wish him the best and that he should live in good health the rest of his life, but I donât know if I want to get in business with him for any length of time.â
By the time of his firing in 2011, Sheen was earning around $1.8 million per episode, making him the highest-paid actor on television at the time. With 20-plus episodes per season, that meant well over $30 million annually. Cryer earned significantly less, though still in the top tier of sitcom salaries.
aka Charlie Sheen is out on Netflix September 10. Sheenâs new memoir, The Book of Sheenwas published today.
