Simple and delicious, this Bacon Wrapped Asparagus dish is just the side you want at your dinner table. Its savory flavors and crisp bacon go with everything.
For more great bacon recipes, you should try our crispy air fryer bacon and chicken bacon ranch flatbread pizza.
Table Of Contents
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe Details
I love this Bacon Wrapped Asparagus recipe because it’s always a crowd-pleaser. You can enjoy your vegetables while still getting the tasty bacon you crave. It’s an amazing combination.
- TASTE: These Bacon Wrapped Asparagus are a mix of salty, savory, and bitter-sweet. There’s so much flavor in one little dish.
- TEXTURE: This side is full of juicy, tender asparagus with crisp strips of bacon. Together, it is absolutely scrumptious.
- TIME: This 4-ingredient, easy-to-make side dish is too yummy to pass up.
- EASE: These asparagus take about 45 minutes to make so pop them in the oven and finish the rest of dinner while they cook.
What You’ll Need
- Asparagus stalks- trimmed
- Bacon slices- classic cut
- Avocado oil
- Salt & Pepper– to taste
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Prep the asparagus. Rinse the asparagus spears in cold water and then pat them dry thoroughly. Now trim the ends off (they are very stringy and hard to chew) and discard.
- Oil the asparagus. Drizzle some avocado oil over the spears and then season them with salt and pepper to taste. Use your hands to make sure they are well-coated in this mix
- Cut the bacon lengthwise. Take out 10 slices of classic cut bacon and cut each one lengthwise using kitchen shears.
- Wrap the asparagus with bacon. Then begin wrapping each spear with the cut bacon as tightly as possible, overlapping slightly.
- Prep the baking sheet. Now line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Then put the bacon-wrapped asparagus (seam side down) on the wire rack.
- Bake. In a 400-degree-Fahrenheit oven, bake them for 10 minutes. Then use rings to flip the asparagus over and bake for another 10 minutes. Finally, turn the oven on broil and bake for 2-3 more minutes.
- Trim the ends off the asparagus- The woody ends of the asparagus are very stringy and hard to chew, so cut them off and discard.
- Choose classic cut bacon- This is the perfect thickness for coverage of the asparagus without overpowering it. This cut also cooks fully and evenly in this application.
- Wrap the asparagus tightly- Wrapping each spear with the cut bacon as tightly as possible and overlapping slightly will ensure that the bacon will stay put through the cooking process.
- Don’t skip the broil step at the end- This gives the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus that extra crispness right on top. Yum!
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add cheese- A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese or some feta cheese crumbles would be a tasty addition to this dish.
- Use different cooking techniques- This recipe uses the oven, but you could also make these asparagus in an air fryer or on the grill.
- Add a glaze- Salty bacon goes so well with sweet sauces, so try these asparagus with a drizzle of balsamic-honey glaze or maple syrup.
- Add onions- Saute some onions until soft and caramelized for a flavorful topping to serve with this dish.
You should cook your bacon for a total of 23 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. However, if you are not using a wire rack or have chosen thicker cut bacon, then you will need to add a few minutes to the cook time in order to get your Bacon Wrapped Asparagus fully cooked and a little crisp.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is keto-friendly, Whole30 compliant, and gluten-free. With just a few simple ingredients, this dish is great for those with dietary restrictions.
This Asparagus appetizer is so versatile and flavorful. You can easily serve it with most any dish. Here are a few suggestions:
Make This Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Advance
Make ahead: Follow the recipe up to the point that the asparagus is wrapped in cut bacon. Then store them in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, just cook them on the wire rack as directed. This is a great time saver!
Storing: Place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator once cooled. They will stay fresh for about 4-5 days. To reheat, place the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus back on the wire rack and baking sheet, and heat for a few minutes until warmed through.
Freeze: The texture of Bacon Wrapped Asparagus doesn’t hold up well when frozen, but you can freeze them if you’d like. Just wrap them in foil once cooled and then place them in a freezer ziplock bag. Freeze for up to 3 month. Thaw overnight before warming.
More Tasty Side Dishes!
Full Recipe Instructions
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
These savory and delicious Bacon Wrapped Asparagus are the perfect side dish. They are scrumptious, crisp, and go with pretty much everything.
Print Pin Rate
Servings: 20 spears
- 20 stalks asparagus trimmed
- 10 slices bacon classic cut
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Begin by rinsing the asparagus spears in cold water. Then pat them dry thoroughly.
Now trim the ends of the asparagus and discard the ends. Those ends are very stringy and hard to chew. Then drizzle a teaspoon of avocado oil over them and season with salt and pepper to taste. Use your hands to coat them in the oil and spices.
Now take out 10 slices of classic bacon and cut them each in half lengthwise. I usually do this with kitchen shears.
Behind wrapping each strip of cut bacon around the asparagus. Try to wrap them as tightly as possible.
Now line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top.
Then place the bacon-wrapped asparagus (seam side down) onto the wire rack. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Then use rings to flip the asparagus over and bake for another 10 minutes. Then turn the oven on broil and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes
- Add-ins and substitutes
- Is this Keto-friendly?
- Can I make it ahead of time?
Calories: 51kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 54mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg