Dhe Austrian government gave Formula 1 hope that the season would start without an audience. Vice Chancellor Werner Kogler (The Greens), including Minister of Culture and Sports, said on Wednesday that there would be “at least not in the way” of a ghost race. “We will provide the relevant motorsport associations with all applicable guidelines as a service, and then they can have a look, whether it works or not.” According to Kogler, compliance with the entry and exit regulations of the ten teams from England, Italy and Switzerland is the core problem According to the Formula 1 calendar, the Austrian Grand Prix is scheduled for July 4th. All previously planned Grands Prix have been postponed or canceled (Monaco).
Helmut Marko, the sports director of the Austrian Formula 1 racing team Red Bull, looks optimistically at the plan: “I estimate the chances, unless the corona situation worsens, to be very high”, he wrote to this newspaper on Thursday: “Right now the Austrian federal government will draw up a catalog of measures under which conditions a race can take place without a spectator. At the same time, the FOM (Formula 1 management / d. Red.) Checks to how many people you can reduce the F1 team to, “says Marko’s answer:” It is the will of the Federal Government, FOM and Red Bull Ring that the race is taking place. “
The Austrian race track in Styria, like the team of the same name, belongs to the Austrian billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz. According to Mercedes, around 100 employees are needed to drive a Grand Prix with both cars. Even if this number could be reduced, around ten teams with around 1000 people in the paddock per race can be expected, since among other things employees such as the tire supplier Pirelli are still needed. In addition, there would be the marshals, the rescue teams and files for securing the race track from the outside.