Victoria, it’s the last weekend of May!
With so many festivals going on right now, it can be hard to know where to start.
If you’re looking for hot festivals and sunny holiday tips, read on. Shrimp, drugs, live music, dancing, tarot readings, and more are available.
Here are 16 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend, Saturday 27th May and Sunday 28th May.
spot shrimp festival
If you’ve forgotten about this action-packed event, here’s your reminder. The BC Spot Prawn Festival returns to McDonald Park on James Bay. You can enjoy a lot of rugby and a large amount of shrimp.
There’s also live music, over 75 local vendors, and licensed areas to add to the fun.
The best part (if you haven’t found an excuse to go yet) is that it’s free.
- where: McDonald Park, 12 Niagara Street, James Bay
- Saturday, May 27 – 12:00pm to 7:00pm
- Sunday, May 28 – 11am to 6pm
Swiftsure International Yacht Race
Don’t miss the world’s largest yacht race here in Victoria. Four long courses start at 9am, followed by the Inshore Classic on Saturday 27th May.
For more information, read the full article. schedule.
- Race starts at Dallas Road 1250 (Clover Point)
- Remaining races at 211 Dallas Road (Ogden Point)
- Saturday, May 27th
- 8:00 pancake breakfast
- 9:00 a.m. Race start
- Saturday, May 27th
- Sunday 28th May – Race Continues
Selkirk Waterfront Festival
From the Kid’s Fun Zone for the younger ones to the beer garden for the grown-ups, there’s sure to be something for the whole family.
There will also be food vendors, local performers, games and crafts.
- where: 350 Waterfront Crescent, Selkirk Green Park
- when: Saturday, May 27th from 11am to 5pm
African Culture Week and Africa Fest
Come to Centennial Square for our 10th Annual Event africa festival – Celebrate African history and heritage!
Hosted by the Isamba Center, the event helps build creative communities, allowing people to experience and learn through dynamic cultural experiences and interactions.
The festival begins on Friday 26th May at the night market and runs through Saturday 27th May and Sunday 28th May.
- where: 1 Centennial Square
- when: Saturday, May 27-Sunday, May 28, 11am-6pm
RuPaul’s Drag Race Red Carpet Viewing Party Extravaganza
It’s going to be spicy – come check out the featured star of RuPaul’s drag racing!
Event organizers are Jimbo’s houseis a design studio run by Jimbo and its talented collective of artists and sponsored by First Metropolitan United Church.
- First Metropolitan United Church, 932 Balmoral Road (main event)
- The House of Jimbo, 1/2 Fisgard Street #551 (after party)
- Saturday, May 27, 5:30pm-10:30pm (Main Event)
- 11:00 p.m. to midnight (after party)
Battle of Dadband
Tour de Rock, the long-awaited music festival “Battle of the Dad Band” hosted by the Cancer Police of the Canadian Cancer Society.
The event will feature notable bands such as Not 4 Public Consumption, Big Font, and special guests Last Night in Vegas.
- where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
- when: May 27 (Sat) Doors open at 7:00 p.m. Performance starts at 8:00 p.m.
Sea Lion Medieval Market
The Medieval Market will feature 30 local craftspeople selling fantasy and medieval-themed products such as fabrics, handmade knives and soaps.
Event organizer Jen Peters said those interested in participating in the activity can take a closer look by signing a safety waiver form and paying an additional fee.
- where: Heritage Acres, 7321 Lochside Drive
- when: Saturday, May 27, 10am-4pm
support the artist The 37th Annual Show & Sale!
The clay masterpiece is set in a wood-fired anagama kiln and fired at intense heat for three consecutive days without a break. Stop by to admire or take home your own unique piece of ceramic art.
- where: M.Etchshin Community Hall, 4401 William Head Road
- when: Saturday, May 27-Sunday, May 28, 10am-5pm
cream bazaar market
In addition to tarot readers, the market also houses vendors and 19th-century cameras for a chance to travel back in time.
Shop around the market and pick up enough repurposed vintage items to fill your tote bag.
- where: Fernwood Square, Gladstone Avenue, Fernwood Road
- when: Saturday, May 27, 11am to 4pm
Heckler: Live Stand Up Comedy
Come laugh and relax after a long week! A cool drink and a great joke is the perfect remedy.
Tickets are $21 event bright.
- where: 123 Gorge Road East
- when: Saturday, May 27th
- 7:00pm to 8:30pm (Early Show)
- 10:00pm – 11:30pm (Late Show)
Cineplex family favorite
To kick off the $2.99 movie special, they’re featuring: brave beluga frog Saturday, May 27th.
The film will be shown in the morning, but the time will be announced at a later date here.
- where: Cineplex Odeon, SilverCity Victoria Cinemas, Cineplex at Westshore Town Center
- when: Saturday, May 27th
Native plant walk
Join an educational botanical walk with instructor PEPAḴIYE Ashley Cooper (Tsartlip First Nation). We will focus on the native species grown in the Compost Education Center and their traditional uses.
Tickets can be purchased at event bright – Prices vary.
- where: 1216 N Park Street
- when: Saturday, May 27, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Pretzel Logic Orchestra at Herman’s Jazz Club
Combine jazz musicians with funky rock musicians and you have the Pretzel Logic Orchestra.
As mentioned above, their fusion of jazz and rock has what it takes to represent Steely Dan’s complex and eccentric music.
- where: 753 views Street
- when: Saturday, May 27, 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm (doors open at 5:30)
Fallen Fest Victoria
Go on a wild adventure! Hosted by the Phoenix Bar and Grill, the festival combines metal, punk, rock and drag into one great show for him. Be sure to check out our extensive list of performers!
This is their second annual show. Tickets can be purchased from: event bright About $17.
- where: 3944 Quadra Street
- when: Saturday, May 27, 5:00 p.m.
Flamenco Tablao at The Mint
Get your dancing shoes ready – this Sunday, May 28th, The Mint will feature a night of flamenco music.
Enjoy live flamenco music, drinks and food at The Mint.
tickets $30 per person to book a table, $25 if you’re alone.
- where: 1414 Douglas Street
- when: Sunday, May 28, 7:00pm to 9:00pm (doors open at 6:15pm)
Grand opening of West Bay Cafe
A health-oriented cafe with an ocean view will open at Esquimalt on Saturday, May 27th!
The owner, Rox Thomas, is sure to come and say hello!She offers a collection of delicious organic foods – A food that can be enjoyed even by those with celiac disease like her.
Be sure to try some pastries and coffee while basking in the sun.
- where: Unit 108 – 474 Head Street
- Grand opening on Saturday, May 27th from 10am to 3pm.
- Regular opening hours may vary