Saturday, June 6, 2020

“Football Leaks” hacker under house arrest

Must read

Friends pay tribute to Louise Smith, 16, as murder detectives find body in woods

Police investigating the disappearance of 16-year-old Louise Smith were today searching a flat belonging to a married couple where she had been living. ...

Morrison government reveals JobKeeper ‘error’ as global COVID-19 cases surpass 5.1 million, Australian death toll stands at 101

So often it's the rats and mice that change the face of history, writes Elizabeth Farrelly. The sword glint that triggers the battle that...

Heartthrob Paul Mescal is spotted on a shirtless jog wearing his famous chain

Phwoar-mal People! Paul Mescal is spotted on a shirtless jog wearing his...
Hacker Rui Pinto on his arrival at the Budapest court on March 5, 2019. FERENC ISZA / AFP

The hacker Rui Pinto, the source of the revelations of “Football Leaks” and prosecuted in Portugal for attempted extortion, has been released from pre-trial detention to be placed under house arrest, his lawyers announced on Wednesday 8 April.

This 31 year old Portuguese man, arrested in Hungary and extradited to his country a little over a year ago, “Is now subject to the obligation to stay at home, combined with the ban on internet access”, according to a press release sent to Agence France-Presse (AFP) by its Portuguese representative, Francisco Teixeira da Mota, and his French colleague William Bourdon.

Rui Pinto a “Already abandoned the premises of the prison establishment”, an annex to the headquarters of the judicial police in Lisbon, they said. While welcoming the decision, his lawyers said they hoped that the judicial authorities would take further steps paving the way for his release. “Total freedom”.

Read also Football Leaks: whistleblower Rui Pinto strikes back against the European Union

Presented by his defenders as a whistleblower, the hacker must be tried for extortion, for having tried to blackmail the Doyen Sports investment fund and various computer crimes linked to the so-called leaks. “Football Leaks” which he organized from the end of 2015.

Also involved in the “Luanda Leaks”

The revelations of “Football Leaks” have led to the opening of legal proceedings in France, Spain, Belgium and Switzerland and remain to date the largest leak of information behind the scenes of football.

On the basis of information obtained from these states, the justice system launched in early March a large sweep against the main clubs in Portugal and the super agent Jorge Mendes, with dozens of searches and indictments due to suspicion of tax evasion when transferring players.

Last January, Rui Pinto claimed to be also behind the “Luanda Leaks”, a leak of 715,000 compromising documents for the Angolan billionaire Isabel dos Santos, daughter of former president José Eduardo dos Santos.

The World with AFP

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest article

Friends pay tribute to Louise Smith, 16, as murder detectives find body in woods

Police investigating the disappearance of 16-year-old Louise Smith were today searching a flat belonging to a married couple where she had been living. ...

Morrison government reveals JobKeeper ‘error’ as global COVID-19 cases surpass 5.1 million, Australian death toll stands at 101

So often it's the rats and mice that change the face of history, writes Elizabeth Farrelly. The sword glint that triggers the battle that...

Heartthrob Paul Mescal is spotted on a shirtless jog wearing his famous chain

Phwoar-mal People! Paul Mescal is spotted on a shirtless jog wearing his...

Pakistan plane crash: Shocking footage shows moment aircraft fell from the sky – World News

Chilling footage captures the moment the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) plane fell from the sky before it crashed into homes...